• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

69 Road Runner bucket seat headrests, or not?

Paul_G

Local time
11:59 PM
Reaction score
My 69 RR Convertible does not have headrests on the bucket seats. Most I have found online do have headrests. But some do not. Which is factory correct?

From everything I have read, they were an option in 68 and mandatory in 1969. Even if your seats don't have them, they will accept the hardware to install headrests.

I wonder if some one removed them in the past? Or may be an early build that did not come with them?

The way I understand it, they became mandatory on 1/1/69, so early 69 production may, or may not, have had headrests .
What is the spd on your fender tag? I would guess from late November on, they would have to have headrests, but that's a guess on my part......

Last edited:
The way I understand it, they became mandatory on 1/1/69, so early 69 production may, or may not, have had headrests .
What is the spd on your fender tag? I would guess from late November on, they would have to have headrests, but that's a guess on my part......
That is correct and they are supposed to be coupled with shoulder belts. I have seen the Manuals diagram for the convertible shoulder belts, but never any in person or pics.

Well damn learn something new every day. I did not know they were mandatory in 69. Apparently I need to get some on the roadrunners buckets. They don't have them. They may not be 69 seats though. I thought they were optional in 69.

That is correct and they are supposed to be coupled with shoulder belts. I have seen the Manuals diagram for the convertible shoulder belts, but never any in person or pics.
No shoulder belts on my 69 either.

My 69 rr is a post coupe. The shoulder belts are anchored above the post, and kept under clips under the headliner. As they are an independent system, not a three point, like all current belts, I NEVER used them, even when racing.
I have no idea how they would have done shoulder belts in a 69 convertible.
Maybe they weren't required by law in a convertible??

There are some 69's without one or either. They were not required until Jan 1 1969, so there are quite a few months that are "normal".

Diagrams show the belts almost wrapping around the necks of backseat passengers in convertibles.

Auto Transport Service
Back