• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

'69 road runner......like I needed another!

gdrill

Just enjoying "B"-ing here
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
10:56 AM
Reaction score
Stuck in the past, just North of Montana....
A few weeks ago I mentioned my '62 Savoy was up for sale. Well, it didn't take long to move it on. But it went in the form of a trade with a member here on FBBO. Now I have a new project in the shop. (Like I needed another!) It is special order paint 99 99 with the hood treatment and a vinyl roof. I believe Dodge called it Rally Green in '69. It is about 80% complete I'd say. It is supposed to run fairly well. I haven't tried it yet. I think it has been about three years since it was allowed to breathe fire. I'm going to do a fair amount of small repairs right away and then it will likely be a while before I complete it.
Some of the stuff it needs: trunk floor, trunk extensions, floor repair behind driver, probably quarters (may be able to save and patch the driver side), a pretty good dent in the roof, seats recovered, interior installed, driver door glass changed to post style, windshield, rot repair around front and back glass and of course a whole bunch of TLC.

Oh, and it's numbers matching! :headbang:

So without further adieu, here are some pics.

IMG_3225.jpg

IMG_3221.jpg

IMG_3222.jpg

IMG_3233.jpg

IMG_3234.jpg

IMG_3232.jpg

IMG_3226.jpg

IMG_3221.jpg IMG_3222.jpg IMG_3225.jpg IMG_3226.jpg IMG_3232.jpg IMG_3233.jpg IMG_3234.jpg

Last edited:
A 4 speed coupe?? Hell yeah!! :hello2::headbang:

Thanx guys, I'm pretty excited about it. Well, not one to waste time I decided to get rid of that annoying dent in the roof. I built a tool to fit up in between the inner structure and the skin and got it tapped out pretty good. You can't really see it in the pic, but it was basically the only major dent on the whole car. Anyway, good enough for now.

IMG_3221 - Copy.jpg

IMG_3238.jpg

IMG_3240.jpg

IMG_3221 - Copy.jpg IMG_3238.jpg IMG_3240.jpg

Looks like you have a pretty worthy project there. Nice work on the roof. Check in often and show us progress.

Nice job on the dent, are you going back to the rally green?

Thank you. Yes I think this car should go back to factory, at least by the fender tag. There is no build sheet, probably due to being an L.A. car.
I cleaned up the rusty trunk. Most of it was out already. The rails on this car are awesome. Some still have green paint on them. Also there is no undercoating, something I'm not used to, but very happy about.

IMG_3242.jpg

I LOVE that color Green. Awesome car you got there, Bud.

Thanx again. I really like the green too. It is still under the trunk lid and looks really nice.

I had a look a the pass door. The glass was wobbly. The lower support spot welds had let go sometime in the past so I tacked it back together. Then I had a look at the front brakes. Good news, they look like they were just redone before it was parked. I'll look at the back tomorrow, would be nice if they are new too. I figured I may as well repack the bearings while I was in there so the front is now good to roll.

IMG_3243.jpg

IMG_3244.jpg

Last edited:
The dipstick tube was broke off at the engine mount, so I couldn't check the oil. I figured I better tackle that. Ya, that was a chore. First when I went to wiggle the remaining tube out it snapped at the block. So as I was looking at the situation I realized the driver side engine mount was swollen and could be changed. Out with the old and in with the new. I had to use an easy out to remove the little chunk of tube. What a pain. I am very happy though, the oil is brand new and the two plugs I pulled for access look new too. I think there was some servicing done just before it got parked. Then I went to the back brakes. Not so lucky there. They are toast and the driver side needs an axle seal. On another note after cleaning them up I noticed the drums still have red paint on them leading me to believe they could be original, if it came with Magnums. It's possible. The speedo read 46864 miles. I thought it was 146864, but the original looking drums make me wonder. So I blasted them up and painted them. I'll take them to my buddies tomorrow and see if they are cut-able.

IMG_3245.jpg

IMG_3246.jpg

IMG_3247.jpg

IMG_3250.jpg

IMG_3249.jpg

IMG_3228.jpg

Brake drums are blasted and painted cast blast. They definitely are factory original. The sloppy red paint gives it away. Now if they spec to be cut I'll be supper happy. The fronts are fresh cut already but the backs are the only ones I wonder about. Well off to the store to get rear shoes.

IMG_3262.jpg

IMG_3263.jpg

IMG_3265.jpg

IMG_3264.jpg

Well, she's got new shoes all around. And both axle seals are new, even though only the driver was leaking. Looks like it had been for a long time, the crud was super hard to get off. Almost like undercoating! The rear drums were still in spec, so they are cut and ready to pick up. Tomorrow, bleed brakes and see if the wheel cylinders are any good. I should have just bought those too but it didn't even cross my mind, DOH! Oh well, hopefully they are ok. Then, if all goes well I'm gonna rig up a fuel system in the trunk area, try to fire her up and take her for a drive down the gravel.

IMG_3271.jpg

IMG_3270.jpg

View attachment 312686

- - - Updated - - -

I have a question. The front brakes were already done when I got the car. They have the long pad on the front. The rear brakes were not done but I took pics and they had the long pad on the back. Is this correct? I have no idea, but I thought they would both be the same? Anybody know if I have to change either of them?

Front driver
View attachment 312687

Back driver
View attachment 312688

Last edited:
Nice garage, looks like you got the space, tools and time, money, loved one,s approvel ,and knowhow. Good luck ,Roadrunners rule i10847.jpg

i10847.jpg

Thank you 69b3rt, I thought there was possibly a mistake made there, I'll switch them around. Glad it's caught now before I wondered why my brakes were so poor.
Thanx Mopower, The garage is my real baby! I've got tools and I'm gaining know how daily. Money? Well we never have enough of that! The wife, she loves my addiction too as it is far better than some other things a guy could be doing!

- - - Updated - - -

I just got off the phone with the parts store. The rear wheel cylinders are $13 each and in stock. A rebuild kit is $6. You can't even justify rebuilding them. I'm going to get new ones instead of taking a chance of leaking with the old. I should have done this yesterday.

Last edited:
It has brakes and lights

A buddy came over this afternoon and we bled and set up the brakes. First we cleaned the master cylinder out and then pushed out all the old fluid until it was nice and clean. Rock solid. Then I carried on by installing a battery. All the exterior lights work, but I have to check into the dash lights, signals and flashers.

IMG_3278.jpg

IMG_3279.jpg

IMG_3276.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Well I said it was going to run today and it did. My goal was to have it running in a week, and I made it. I didn't get to drive it around the yard but that's OK. I rigged up a little bottle with gas in the trunk, dumped a little in the carb and she roared to life. She has a throaty sound, but didn't want to idle on her own for too long. Probably bad gas still in the carb. I only ran it for a minute. The plug wires are all hanging around the headers so I'm sure they aren't in the greatest shape. A friend has a set of '69 hipo manifolds and I have a complete exhaust to the back. I think I'll change that out right away. In any case, it was a great day. She's a runner!

:3gears:

IMG_3282.jpg

IMG_3281.jpg

IMG_3276.jpg IMG_3278.jpg IMG_3279.jpg IMG_3281.jpg IMG_3282.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back