• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

69 Roadrunner restoration

Deanfitz27

Local time
11:02 PM
Reaction score
Hey guys I've just started to strip down my roadrunner. I started on Boxing Day, I have the engine and gear box out and most of the interior and trim. Hopefully tomorrow I will get the front and rear end out and then start to remove the floor. I will try to attach some photos.

- - - Updated - - -

More photos.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 1,305
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    39.8 KB · Views: 1,308
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 1,213
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    26.6 KB · Views: 1,291
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 1,112
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    72.8 KB · Views: 1,087
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 1,101
Looking good! What's Boxing Day?

image[5].jpgimage[1].jpg

- - - Updated - - -

image[6].jpg

- - - Updated - - -

hi and welcome to the site nice project to start with

Thanks guys. Bob tile, Boxing Day is dec 26th. It is a solid car, the previous owner started to do some work on the car, he patched the footwell area and painted up the engine bay and put it the running gear to get it mobile. However I'm putting it on the rotisserie so I have decided to replace the floor with a one piece. I'm going to mount the jig from my frame straightener under the car while cutting out the floor to take care of any flex. With a good roof, and solid rockers, do you think these cars will flex with the floor removed?

Looks like a great project car, good luck with it...

- - - Updated - - -

what is the ultimate plan for the car ??, what is your expectations ??

It's not a matching numbers car, but I want to keep the original look, except for the wheels. The cragers came with the car and I think I'm going to leave them on. I'm going to paint it body color underneath. I'm thinking rallye green, black interior, black vinyl rook. It's a 440, 4 speed, Dana 60, with buckets and a console. Do you have any suggestions budnicks?

Hey guys in between snow storms and power outages I managed to get a little more time at the roadrunner. The previous owner did some patch work on the floors and welded in sub frame connectors. I want a much cleaner look so I will be replacing the floor. As the pics show I removed the sub frame connectors and the floor pan, then sand blasted the structure under the floor and epoxy primed it. ONE PROBLEM I RAN INTO IS THE OUTER WHEEL HOUSE. The previous owner replaced the quarters but not the wheel houses, he did some patch work, has anybody managed to install an outer wheel house without removing the quarter? I know it's backwards, but that's the predict ament he left me in. Thanks

PS if you look at the pic showing the body on jack stands, the frame under neath is a part of my frame straightener, it's clamped on to the pinch welds of the rockers and the body is levelled. I don't think the car would flex without this frame but with it have a zero worries.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 988
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 1,020
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 955
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 994
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 1,010
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 1,031
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 1,015
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 940
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 992
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 1,000
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 1,048
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 979
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 1,013
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 988
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 989
Looks like a great project! Good luck with the restoration, looks pretty solid!

Looks like a good start for sure . What Primer sealer you useing ?

Great looking and solid car you have to start with. Its a cream puff compared to some being rebuilt around here lol. Is that T5 copper?

Thanks. No it's not copper, that is primer you see with a bit of burnt orange base sprayed by the previous owner, it will all be removed. It was originally red. The car is good but the previous owner started the resto and I am redoing everything as you can see like his floor patches. If I could only figure out a way to get in outer wheel houses with out too much damage, the previous owner has already replaced the quarters but only patched the wheel houses. I have a new amd hood as the lip was gone on mine. The only other panel I need is a right fender, it might look ok in the pic, but that's not the case. I'm considering using an amd but not sure how they fit.

Hey guys,
I got a little more time in at the roadrunner. I chemical stripped the engine bay and welded in the floor. Hopefully prime those areas tomorrow. I still need to find the proper location of the 4 speed console brackets.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 929
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 914
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 856
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 921
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    69.9 KB · Views: 945
I finished stripping the firewall and engine Bay Area and hit it with some epoxy.

- - - Updated - - -

I also finished welding/sanding the floor and hit that with epoxy as well.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 866
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 881
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 883
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg