• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

69 Roadrunner saved from the crusher build

RGAZ

Local time
4:07 AM
Reaction score
I generally don't post my own projects because they take me years to complete, but I have had people ask so here is what I have been doing the last...10 years...

Purchased in June 2008 from a farm in Kentucky. Was about to be sent to the crusher when i showed up with a few bucks and a trailer. Not much to work with when i got it, but I see potential.
`69 Roadrunner 001.jpg
`69 Roadrunner 003.jpg
`69 Roadrunner 006.jpg
`69 Roadrunner 008.jpg
`69 Roadrunner 011.jpg

A year rolls by and I find a 440 from a 70 Daytona in pieces in Whitehorse, TN.
IMG_1663.JPG
IMG_1663.JPG
IMG_1665.JPG

Another year rolls by and I have the car pretty much torn down... (see next post) IMG_1666-web.jpg IMG_1668.JPG IMG_2322.JPG

IMG_2328.JPG
IMG_2329.JPG
IMG_2340.JPG

A couple more years roll by and I am now building the car back...
donor cowl.JPG
front clip.JPG

2 more years roll by (2014 now) and life changes make me move stuff all over the US with small progress.

IMG_0226.JPG
IMG_0245.JPG
IMG_0255.JPG
IMG_0436.JPG

Two more years pass with car in a barn and the work continues today... Next post will be current pictures

RGAZ

Way to keep at it!!:thumbsup:
Not much worse than my GTX when I bought it, which needed a new roof and front clip as well as floors, quarters, gutters, dutchman, etc.

A year rolls by and I find a 440 from a 70 Daytona

Are you sure ?

Life happens, keep us updated.

Great catch - We're looking for a few good men to do what you did! You're my hero.

A year rolls by and I find a 440 from a 70 Daytona

Are you sure ?

No. LOL. My memory is cloudy, but my sig picture is the block number. 2536430-6 with date above that looks like 5-14-71 so I guess its 71? I remember when I picked it up the car was in a field out back and they said they would sell me the engine and tranny but not the car? I pushed him pretty hard, but he wouldn't budge. He wouldn't even let me get close to it (3 feet of field grass around it), but he said daytona and it looked like it from a distance. Its probably still there, or what hasn't rusted away. The poor guy had his little sister count the cash, because he couldn't I assume? I did see the heads are 906 casting so the setup is correct for 68-71 from my research.

Did some work on the Switch panel and took some "before" pics of my heater box and my gauge panel. Soon the final dash will be revealed!
HPYY8126.JPG
IMG_1132.JPG
IMG_1133.JPG
IMG_1134.JPG
IMG_1135.JPG
IMG_1139.JPG
IMG_1140.JPG
HPYY8126.JPG
IMG_1132.JPG
IMG_1133.JPG
IMG_1134.JPG
IMG_1135.JPG
IMG_1139.JPG
IMG_1140.JPG
IMG_1143.JPG
IMG_1147.JPG
IMG_1171.JPG

Starting the reassembly of the dash. I really like how the flat paint turned out, even on the pads. That top pad took me forever to rebuild, it was almost all cracks and no foam. LOL
IMG_1180.JPG

Before....

IMG_1139.JPG

IMG_1136.JPG

Starting the reassembly of the dash. I really like how the flat paint turned out, even on the pads. That top pad took me forever to rebuild, it was almost all cracks and no foam. LOL
Before....
So how did you rebuild a cracked dash pad? I don't think I have seen how anyone has fixed there dash pad.

Amazing thread sir. Your skills are formidable. What a cool car.

So how did you rebuild a cracked dash pad? I don't think I have seen how anyone has fixed there dash pad.

I tried a few different methods with varying success. I did a ton of research online for the best way and none really had a cracked dash as bad as this was. Here is the basic process if you have time and a lot of patience.

1. Realize up front that it will not be perfect and getting the perfect texture back is almost impossible. Also realize that the end product will be more "solid" and less like a "pad". So, good for a driver, not a true restoration. If you are ok with that then read on...
2. Remove the pad. inspect the studs that hold it to the dash. If these are rusted off or are not well connected to the framework underneath, you are wasting your time. If they are loose, clean away the soft parts and JB weld the stud back more solid. Must be metal to metal.
3. Get a air grinder setup with a roloc disc and grind every crack into a V and remove ALL foam that is loose. This gets kind of crazy and you take off a lot of material, but what you need is a solid surface to build on. Take your time and when you think you are done, push the edges of your grind and if it cracks easily, go at it again. This is the foundation.
4. Get a can of Bondo Fiberglass Jelly. Yes, the Jelly. It is pretty easy to work with, thick. Use it to fill the V's grooves to build thin layers up. After each layer review the shape you have. Don't use it for tiny gaps, this is for the bulk filler. Sand with 80 then 120 between layers or if you feel you are close.
5. After you get the general shape close. I used Rage Gold body filler to make a smooth surface I could shape. Again, thin layers at a time and pay close attention to the shape. Sand layers 80 then 120 then 240 then 360/400 with a durablock and final finish with paper in hand. If you think youa re done, take a bare hand, close your eyes and run it slowly across the surface. If you feel anything not smooth, fill and sand as needed. Repeat.
6.Ok so now about a week has passed (LOL). Now spray the entire pad with a high build primer. Rattle can is fine. Let dry. Inspect again for any visible defects. If you see a visible filler transition or anything, mark it with a paint pen. use a very bright light.
7. Now back to the sanding. Remove those paint pen marks and make sure all visible defects are gone. Sand whole thing smooth.
8. Now here is where I experimented a lot. I tried to reproduce the texture of the dash. I tried using felt rollers, smooth rollers, sponges, even dabbing with a textured cloth. None did a great job reproducing the texture and smooth looks cheesy. So, I whipped out my HVLP, setup with a 1.8mm and used a can of Kylon Colormatch Flat black Acrylic LATEX paint ($9 at Lowes). Krylon says "not for spraying" but I found that if you spray normal it covers well and comes out very flat. Back off about 12" (fog it) from the surface and it provides a textured surface. Not perfect, but not smooth. I would say its pretty good.
9. I liked the look so much I did the whole dash and the pads. I know its latex so its not as durable as urethane, but hey, see step 1. And clean up was a breeze because its water-based.
10. Let dry at least 48 hours since its water based. Install and check it out.

Some tips:
Patience is key.
The lower pad has fake sewing lines that will require you to "carve" them back in.
If you stress the shape, the material will crack again. Touch-up may be required.
Many beers were consumed in the process of doing this.

If you have any questions, you can ask here. (better pics below)
RGAZ
IMG_1181.JPG
IMG_1182.JPG

Last edited:
Dash is mostly together. From the fender tag looks like it had a Radio, not sure if I will add it.

I need to redo the TEMP and FAN letters, but I rebuilt the heater controls and the heater box too. New heater core (Spectrum from Amazon) and new blower fan from Rock auto. I reused the fan cage. Some before pics too.
IMG_1171.JPG
IMG_1183.JPG
IMG_1205.JPG
IMG_1206.JPG
IMG_1207.JPG
IMG_1208.JPG
IMG_1209.JPG
IMG_1210.JPG
IMG_1211.JPG

Auto Transport Service
Back