• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

69 Roadrunner

BARRY JACKPOT

Local time
9:40 PM
Reaction score
Ok so I just got home from a holiday to the states, while I was there I bought came across a sufire yellow Roadrunner and fell in love with it. I think it's called sunfire yellow, anyway the gentleman I bought it off was the second owner and said that aside from an exterior paint job and a couple of crome pieces under the hood and obviously the wheels the car was essentially original. Now I don't really care as I like it how it is but i'm quite interested in what the fender tag means.

I looked in another part of this site and found some decode information but i'm still scratching my head a little. My questions are.

A87-Decore package, is this a trim thing and does it include the stainless steel trunk moulding and rear tail lights as mine has the plain tail lights with the little bird sticker in the middle.

V7X-Longditudinal Side Stripe, what does this option look like mine has it on the tag but it's not on the car

The other thing I couldn't really figure out is did all Roadrunners have the black hood stripes or were they an option. Mine has a plain yellow hood with black vents which doesn't seem right to me, I'm just trying to figure out what the hood colours should be.

Also what wheels would this car have come standard with, it has the cragars on it which are period cool but I wanna know did all Roadrunners come with Magnum 500's or was that an option also. I picked up some plymouth division hubcaps at the Mopar Spring Fling but I don't know if they are correct for the year of the car or if Roadrunners even came with steelies and dog dishes.

I'm really excited cause I never thought i'd ever own a genuine one.

Thank you in advance for any info you can supply and I look forward to becoming part of the B Body family.

P4170208.jpg

P4170196.jpg

Not sure what you're asking about the tail lights. Runners only had one tail light. (ok...one on each side lol) Part of the decore package is the chrome "B" pillar trim

If you do a search you'll find a thread (or two) about that and will have a pic (or two) as well.

Hood stripe was an option.

Wheels could have been anything from seelies with poverty caps, full wheel covers, Road Wheels (magnum 500s) or the KH "recall" wheels. Only way to tell is by the broadcast sheet.

Thanks dude, with the tail lights I just meant the decore package on the 68's had a stainless steel insert that attatched to the trunk and ran in between the tail lights, it must have been a 68 only thing though. Where would you find the dimensions for the hood stripes, I know they aren't original for my car but I like the look of them. If a car doesn't have the hood stripes from the factory should the hood vents be black or body colour, mine are black and on a yellow car it just stands out and looks odd.

Thanks for you help, i'm really getting into this.

The "lumps" are body color, with the ribbed insert black. If I had a Year One book handy I'd tell you about the stripes, but I'm sure one of the other guys will post somethin for ya.

A87-Decore package, is this a trim thing ....Yes. See link below for more info

V7X-Longditudinal Side Stripe, what does this option look like mine has it on the tag but it's not on the car the stripe runs along the top of the fenders and doors. I don't have a good picture handy

The other thing I couldn't really figure out is did all Roadrunners have the black hood stripes or were they an option. The V21 hood performance treatment was optional

Also what wheels would this car have come standard with? Steelies and dog dishes. Upgraded wheel covers and the Chrome Road wheel were optional

Here's a great resource to show what was standard and what was optional. It's a scan of the 69 Plymouth data book.

http://www.hamtramck-historical.com/dealerships/1969PlymouthDealershipDataBook-02.shtml

Congrats on the car find! Great looking RR too!!

Off the top of my head your car is a 383 auto built at the LA plant. Color is yellow with black interior. Decor package usually means a trunk finish panel (similar to the GTX pictured) and I think full wheel hub caps. Road wheels were and option. I'll look up your tag when I get home.

The A87 decore package didn't include trunk trim like a GTX. It had rear armrests with ashtray, B pillar trim, exhaust tips, partial horn ring steering wheel, bright door panel trim moldings, and bright arm rest bases. Console, buckets, fender mounted turn signals, drip rail moldings, AM/FM radio, and longitudinal accent stripes

(yes, I skipped the A01 which is light package)

OK, here's your car: A01 = light package A87 = RR decor group C16 = Console C55 = bucket seats L31 = fender mount turn signals M21 = Drip rail molding R21 (looks like R) = AM/FM radio V7X = aforementioned hood stripes.

A87 calls for vinyl trim (probably for a top as most came with vinyl tops), rear arm rests with ash tray, B pillar molding (for vinyl top), exhaust tips (exc w/N97), deluxe steering wheel with partial horn ring, bright door trim panel moldings and bright arm rest bases. N97 = noise reduction package. Makes sense why no tips. No mention of wheels or trim panel.

You got yourself a very well optioned out Road Runner!! The AM/FM option is quite rare.

The A87 decore package didn't include trunk trim like a GTX. It had rear armrests with ashtray, B pillar trim, exhaust tips, partial horn ring steering wheel, bright door panel trim moldings, and bright arm rest bases. Console, buckets, fender mounted turn signals, drip rail moldings, AM/FM radio, and longitudinal accent stripes

(yes, I skipped the A01 which is light package)

At least our books are synchronized :tongueflap:

OK, here's your car: A01 = light package A87 = RR decor group C16 = Console C55 = bucket seats L31 = fender mount turn signals M21 = Drip rail molding R21 (looks like R) = AM/FM radio V7X = aforementioned hood stripes.

A87 calls for vinyl trim (probably for a top as most came with vinyl tops), rear arm rests with ash tray, B pillar molding (for vinyl top), exhaust tips (exc w/N97), deluxe steering wheel with partial horn ring, bright door trim panel moldings and bright arm rest bases. N97 = noise reduction package. Makes sense why no tips. No mention of wheels or trim panel.

V7X = side stripe. The hood performance treatment is V21.

The Vinyl trim = upgraded interior to the H2 vinyl bench seat or M6 vinyl buckets.

A vinyl top would be coded on the tag and this car is not coded for one.

So i'm guessing it's gonna be hard to find an original am/fm radio. Someone along the way has put a modern stereo in it. I have a 68 Satellite here with a mint radio and face plate but are they the same. Thanks again for all your help boys.

A87 was a Coupe only option - It included

really nice option in all honesty - my 69 RR was optioned with the same thing.

My father purchased this color Roadrunner, and it was called Yellow Gold. It is the lighter, pale yellow showing in the first photo of the Roadrunner. We purchased it new in the summer of 69. The car had no black hood stripes. The interior was kind of a bronze leather. It was a 383 4 speed. I owned the car in 75 when my father passed away. Sold it to my brother around 1980. He gave it to a friend for restoring, and use for a couple of years. The "friend" sold it shortly after, and we lost track of it.

:iamwithstupid: the Color is Y2 Sunfire Yellow or Y3 Yellow Gold, I can't tell by that photo above on my screen anyway

Auto Transport Service
Back