• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

69 RR mystery bolts?

jimbosride

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
7:38 AM
Reaction score
When doing the tear down on my 69 Road Runner I cam across these funky bolts.... lag screws? there in the rear shock mount cross member. I saw the bolts in the frame for the shock cross member mount when removing the bumpers. Is that shock cross piece welded?

I'm thinking these were not factory? What are they there for?

Screenshot_20230530-151726_Gallery.jpg

20230602_181131.jpg

20230602_181029.jpg

those are not factory the shock mount is welded to the frame rails not to the trunk floor

Not factory. Cross member is welded in from the factory. Screws might of been from an electric fuel pump mount.

Bet tore away from frame rails, remove bolts it's probably loose on that side. Air shocks with 100lbs of air.

Decades ago, I had a '68 Road Runner whose rear shock crossmember had torn away from the floor - I could see the spot welds. Sideways tears in the trunk floor.
Buddy of mine who worked at a Mopar dealership in that era told me that it was a brief issue, there was a service bulletin about it, and they'd had to fix a few.
It's a rare occurrence, only had it on one '68-'70 B, and I've had maybe 20 of them through the years.
My guess is that the OP's car got a hillbilly repair at some point.

ok..... will check it out when the bolts come out before media blast ........ Make sense .....

Definitely a hack repair.

Thank you guys

Auto Transport Service
Back