• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

69 satellite, 318+904 swap for 440+727

General23cmp

Local time
11:51 AM
Reaction score
I’m pretty sure I’ll need a new driveshaft and will need to worry about cooling, etc. later, but what else is needed to bolt the engine and trans in? Will the mounts on the 440 engine slip right on the 318 k member mounts, and if they do, will my trans crossmember be in the right spot? My car is a column shift, will the linkages be correct for the new trans (bolt in and go)?

Also, I have access to a lift and a crane, so I can pull/place either direction. Is it better to just lower the k member out the bottom and do all the swap there or pull engine and trans alone out the top?

Ok. I did some reading, which I know I should have before posting. Sounds like I just need to be sure the 440 has motor mounts for my year b body (and maybe a different pan/pickup to clear steering?).

Still would like to know about shift linkages and your opinions on the best direction to pull it out.

Thanks.

"402" is the common BB B body oil pan, but there are others that work.

Trans linkage should be fine.

I’m pretty sure I’ll need a new driveshaft and will need to worry about cooling, etc. later, but what else is needed to bolt the engine and trans in? Will the mounts on the 440 engine slip right on the 318 k member mounts, and if they do, will my trans crossmember be in the right spot? My car is a column shift, will the linkages be correct for the new trans (bolt in and go)?

Also, I have access to a lift and a crane, so I can pull/place either direction. Is it better to just lower the k member out the bottom and do all the swap there or pull engine and trans alone out the top?
I recently did this swap, The L shaped bracket with a bushing that bolts to the ear on the Transmission has a different offset for the 727. If you don't change it, The shifter linkage rod will be uneven. May not be a big deal, Just something to be aware of.

Auto Transport Service
Back