• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

69 Satellite Rear is too high

Mario Keller

Local time
2:49 PM
Reaction score
Hello,
I would appreciate to get some help. Since my restauration is done I was wondering about the height of the car in rear. There are packs of 5 1/2 leaf springs mounted. If my research is right, the 69 with a 318 would originally only have 4 1/2 leaf springs. I don't mind about the springs, but the car is very high in rear. So I want lower it. I was thinking about Hotchkiss Leaf spring hangers. But now I think about using lowering blocks. Can somebody give me advice on that? I am sitting in Germany, and not used to leaf spring system that much. So maybe someone can help with that topic. Which block kit can I use?

Rear height.

IMG-20220621-WA0003.jpg

Not so much the rear is high, but the front - T bars look low in that pic. Maybe take it up a 1/2".

New springs will settle a bit as well over time. Looks like you are running short tires, 14 inch? I personally wouldn't want the front end any higher. Lowering blocks work, but you may need longer U-bolts.

Who's springs? Without undercarriage pictures, it's hard to tell, but my guess is the springs are to long. It's not the 5 1/2 leaf on each side. It could also be the amount of arch built into the springs.

Measure the length of thread you have left on your U bolts. That measurement would be the thickest lowering block you could put in there. You could also remove a leaf,,,, They will settle a little.

Are your rear tires taller than your front tires? It’s hard to tell from the pic.

My new leaf springs settled on my 68 Coronet after some time.

I have -1" split mono leafs and 1/2" lowering blocks on my Challenger with 30" tall 315/60/15 drag radials. However, I have them 100% welded around due to the high horsepower application with no issues.

20221001_151456.jpg

IMG9539301.jpg

Not so much the rear is high, but the front - T bars look low in that pic. Maybe take it up a 1/2".
No.
The top edges of the rear tires are usually hidden by the body. The OP is right. The rear sits too tall.
I have 1 inch lowering blocks in my red car.
2 Chargers D.jpg
2 Chargers F dbm.jpg

The red car has 6 1/2 leafs, the brown car has 4 1/2.
A lowering block will require longer U bolts.

Did you tighten the bolts on your springs with no weight on them
Big no no
It leaves pressure on the rubber making them stand taller
Loosen the mounting bolts on both ends then tighten them with the full weight of the vehicle on them
I’d try that before anything else

The front is already all the way up. Although I thought many times that it should be a little higher. The tires are 15". In front 235/60-15, in rear 255/60-15. I was expecting the front to come up by itself, as I bring the rear down.
Can someone give me the heights front/rear of a roadrunner with 15"?
What length should a leaf spring pack have? I am not sure if the leaf spring pack is original...

Auto Transport Service
Back