• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

69 Sport Satellite

MJF_

Local time
6:40 AM
Reaction score
At first, a little history of this car that I know before I got it.

It's imported in Finland at late 90´s from California. First Finnish owner fixed it running and got in registereded. There was stock tired 318 under hood. After a couple years driving, he took engine and transmisson out, and sold the car to the second owner. He built a peppy 318 (which I have now in my Valiant) and installed some late 70's 904. This is the first time I saw this car, in 08/01 at Forssa Pick-Nick.

Couple years later I was looking for 1969 2 door b-body Plymouth. At first there was one Road Runner we went to look, but no deal this time. Some time later, I sawthis Sport Satellite for sale in internet. Roof was painted in black, grille was changed to Sport Satellites own etc little things, but I recognized it the same one I saw in Forssa. Couple phone calls and a few days later, we went to see it. It was cold February day, we packed some old winter tires in old Passat and drove 600km to see it. After a little twisting, we made a deal. We changed winter tires under Satellite and drove it home :D It was -20C outside and of course heater did not work. What a freezing 600km to home... After 20 hour freezing trip, we had a good sleep and first thing in morning bypassed heater contol valve and got hot air in car...

Then it was parked in garage and front end was rebuilt. Took old 10" drums out, and installed disc brakes from Volare. All bushings and ball joints was also replaced. I drove it like that 2½ years until I got tired how it looked. Drivers quarter panel and right front fender was crashed in some point. Fender was replaced to good '68 fender, but inner fender and frame was a little twisted. Quarter panel had almost 60 holes, probably from pull-out pins. I always told people who asked of those that it has been shot by a shotgun :) At this time, I decided to restore this car to original specs from fender tag.

- - - Updated - - -

Trunk floor had typical rust becouse of rusted rear window channel and it was replaced. Both side rockers needed one patch each and couple patches next to accelerator pedal. Not that much rust repairs. Quarter panels was hammered straight. If I had to do it again, I´d change a new panel. It would have been much easier... I got it home from body shop just after xmas. It is now painted in F3 green out, F8 green inside.

th_Pa080439.jpg
th_Pa080441.jpg
th_IMG_2695.jpg
th_16122012370.jpg
th_01122012368.jpg
th_305670_10151326156479025_1172181821_n1.jpg
th_2013-01-08173902.jpg

Thats a cool story behind it and sure sounds like a cold rough trip home, Great looking car and hope you post the final pictures when its together and complete..

Yes,definitly show us some final photos when it is done.

At the way home, I was driving inner lane of 4 -lane highway ~70mph and suddenly there was police officer stopping me between lanes :icon_eek: I hit brake and un-even front drums pulled car immediatly to outer lane :icon_eek: :icon_eek: My friend drove behind me and told me afterwards that LOTS of cars were braking hard to avoid me. What a scary moment... I was sure that police will give me speeding ticket, but they wanted just to check paperwork. Car wasn't registered and did't have licence plates, but I had temporary licence to drive home. That was the exact moment when I decided to convert disk brakes, I didn't even open drums when I took those off the car :D

Interior has a little odd color combination. It's dark green, but seats and door panels should be white (P6F). Vinyl top will be antique green.

Ok, back to todays work. What color should the grill be painted? My grill is black with red stripe, is that correct? Trunk molding is gray with black stripe. I also think that I'm missing some part between upper grille and lock plate. Anyone got a good picture of correct grill?

Progress is probably slow becouse I and my girlfriend just bought new house and we are moving in from 2 different adresses. But I´ll update when I have something new :)

Finally I´ve had some free time with Satellite. Last week I took engine and transmission out of Belvedere and installed it in Satellite. Bone stock 318 and 904. Engine is re-ringed and repaired ~3000 miles ago, runs smooth and quiet. Transmission is also repaired ~same time ago. Paint is chipping a little from front of block, needs a little new paint.
I glued 10mm sound deafner mat under headliner and new headliner was installed today. Stuffed c-pillars full of this same mat. Vinyl top is going to be installed hopefully in next tuesday.

th_2013-07-04171226_zpsfb4ec1a9.jpg
th_2013-07-12165616_zpse7fa338f.jpg
th_DSC06944_zps0e7d937e.jpg
th_DSC06943_zpsd8a9c246.jpg

It was 50F and rain last week, today was 80F in shadow. So it was good weather to install vinyl top. So much softer vinyl now :)

th_2013-07-26124822_zps0c82ed24.jpg

How many clips should there be in inside roof rail molding? All I found was 6 :/

th_2013-07-23143523_zpsa2e8a244.jpg

cool old 69 Sport Satty, pretty solid looking from the photos...

Wow, 2 years since last post, slooowww work :hello2:

Got engine running today and painted brake booster. Next assembling booster back in car and bleed the brakes. Then it's time for interior...

What paint could I use to paint silver parts of tail light bezels and trunk panel? It's like sand in paint?

Thanks :) I'm hoping to get it ready for next summer, but you never know. It has been out of road since 2006...
Tires are 275/60/15 at rear, 8,5" wheels. Fronts are mockup tires, 245/60/15 on 7" wheels. I have to buy new ones, still figuring is 235 or 245 the right size.
Installing brake booster was a little time consuming. 3 years ago I tried and noticed that I am missing backplate for it. I had to find new one, luckily local Mopar-guys had one. Fast forward 3 years and tried again. Noticed that I am missing wiring harness holder which goes between backplate and firewall. I did not find it locally, had to place an order to overseas. After that, I noticed that I don't have firewall gaskets, another order to overseas :poke:And now it is finally installed! :D
Old wiring was cracking and breaking, installed new engine bay harnesses from Year One. Now that both bumpers are on, I am moving to interior. Still have to paint everything inside.

Lots of little things are missing or broken. Many of clips were already missing when I disassembled car in 2006. It have taken lots of time and orders to find everything...
Some progress though. Painted trunk panel and tail light bezels, finished painting interior steel parts, plastic parts are still waiting. Received new Retrosound thumbweel radio, got to figure speakers. I have a kph speedometer that I am going to install instead of mph speedometer. Heater box is cleaned and painted, waiting for new insulation etc etc

_smaller.jpg
_smaller.jpg
_smaller.jpg

Is there any way to find out history from California? I know the license plate and vin ofcourse.

Last edited:
Some new pictures. Hoping to get it inspected before winter...

_medium.jpg

_medium.jpg

_medium.jpg

_medium.jpg

_medium.jpg

_medium.jpg

Friday was the day, she is inspected for next two years :bananaweed: What a great feeling to drive this after 15 years :D Didnt remember how harsh ride it has. Not bad, but probably want to change different shocks, white KYBs now. Changed stock size whitewalls and stock wheelcovers, I have to buy new front tires for slotmags. I also test fitted black stripes. Not exactly original, but this one had those from factory.

_medium.jpg

_medium.jpg

_medium.jpg

_medium.jpg

Radio is Retrosound. Today I bought 3,5" Alpine speakers on dash. Older had too large magnets and they did not fit good. Alpines are a little smaller and looks like they will fit. I already put rca and power cables for amplifier, I probably put 8" sub in trunk. Or two 10", we'll see...

_medium.jpg

_medium.jpg

_medium.jpg

_medium.jpg

AC & 4 speaker system! Very cool!

Auto Transport Service
Back