• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

69 Wagon tailgate removal

70chall440

Local time
3:10 AM
Reaction score
Has anyone done this (removing the tailgate)? What is involved? I know there is a large pivot nut/stud (I have already removed the nut). It seems like there is a large bracket on the left side but I'd like to hear from anyone who has actually done it.

You’ll need help. They’re darn heavy. Two man job.

Yeah I figured that, I was more interested in how it is removed; what has to be unbolted?

Download the FREE manual from Mymopar.com, and starting on page 23-51, the entire breakdown and procedure will be found in the 69 Dodge manual...

So, I have read the manual (several times), looked at this tailgate from every angle and still am not sure how to remove it. The manual says to remove the torsion bar, however it appears to be under tension regardless of what orientation the gate is in, although it does appear to be less tension when the gate is barely open in the "gate" mode.

While the manual's instructions sound simple, it says to "remove check arm and torsion bar guide from pillar plate" however no where does it depict what or where the check arm or torsion bar guide are. I "believe" that they are in the tailgate some place but am unsure.

The gate itself is not that heavy and I would really like to get it off.

Not really but then again I have not messed with a lot lately. I did play with unbolting the torsion bar but in the orientation I had the gate it was still under tension. I later figured out that I needed to have it more closed (I think). Its really kind of confusing, the manual isn't clear either. I will get it off at some point I am sure, just not sure when. Currently I am working on other things;

Install sound deadening
Install a new after market wiring harness
Build a console (actually its just an extension of the dash)
On and on it goes

Auto Transport Service
Back