• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

'70 Charger Front Bumper Removal

Moparmann

Local time
5:27 AM
Reaction score
Looking for advice/experience/guidance on removing the front bumper/grille of a '70 Charger as a unit. I tried searching the forums w/ no luck. Any input from anyone having done this, would be appreciated! Thanks! :thankyou:

Very easy to do but it's best to have a helper and/or a jack.

You just need to unhook the concealed headlights motor, unbolt the hood release lever, unbolt two brackets from grill to fender, remove the four bolts of the bumper brackets.

20200805-115915.jpg

Here is the curved bracket that you need to unbolt (remove from fender, not grille).

20200805-103607.jpg

Last edited:
Let me know if you need additional pictures - I have a few more saved on my phone including pics when I removed the grille from the bumper.

If the bumper has never been removed there are two more bolts that are in the lower outer corners of the bumper that bolt to two J brackets that bolt to the front fenders with the side bumper inner rubber bump stops! Most people who remove a 70 Charger front bumper assembly never put them back in,because they suck to remove and replace.

Forgot about those as they were no longer attached on my Charger.

No one ever puts them back in! I didn't want to see him do all the ones you stated and the bumper still doesn't move.

would anyone have a pic of those j brackets? 2 bolts on each side or 1 bolt?

Here is different pic of that bracket. Yes, two bolts per bracket. One on the fender. One on the bumper. Don't mind the clothes pin and the zip tie. Using that to try to stop the droopy eye lid while on display off the car. lol

Bumper J Bracket.jpg

Bumper J Bracket 2.JPG

Bumper J Bracket 3.JPG

Last edited:
No one ever puts them back in! I didn't want to see him do all the ones you stated and the bumper still doesn't move.
I would love to see the above described "J" brackets as well. I have a 70 Charger and assume they are missing. I parted a couple of these cars and do not recall encountering them.

Same bracket, isn't it?? I see mine are bolted to the top side (23000 original miler) and ChargerST are bolted on the bottom. I wouldn't call then "J" brackets. Bent/angled yes.
Just checked it out from my parts book. Called Fender Bumper Support. Part# 2786 935 In the picture it's 12-07-1 1970 calls for two of them. One for each side.

Bump J Bracket 5.JPG

Bumper J Bracket 4.JPG

Bump J Bracket 6.JPG

Bump J Bracket 7.JPG

Last edited:
Same bracket, isn't it?? I see mine are bolted to the top side (23000 original miler) and ChargerST are bolted on the bottom. I wouldn't call then "J" brackets. Bent/angled yes.
Just checked it out from my parts book. Called Fender Bumper Support. Part# 2786 935 In the picture it's 12-07-1 1970 calls for two of them. One for each side.

View attachment 1370945

View attachment 1370946

View attachment 1370957

View attachment 1370958
I am very familiar with these upper brackets. I am interested in the lower J bracket described above by chargervert. I am not familiar with any lower bracket other than the two main bumper supports that tie frame. Hoping we can see photos of the mysterious J brackets.

This is likely the bracket described by Chargervert. After looking at my parts book I do recall this part and I did include in my build. The one bolt he descirbes above is difficult to get at. It passes through the large hole in bottom of bracket. The other two small holes align with the rubber bumper pad at front of fender area.

bumper brkt.jpg

bumper brkt2.jpg

Wow! My bad. Sorry guys. Yes the "J" bracket. I'm going to sit down now. Wake me when we get there. lol

Charger j bracket 1.jpg

Charger j bracket 2.jpg

And here is where it's bolted to on the pass side right behind the bumper.

j bracket location.JPG

Last edited:
This is likely the bracket described by Chargervert. After looking at my parts book I do recall this part and I did include in my build. The one bolt he descirbes above is difficult to get at. It passes through the large hole in bottom of bracket. The other two small holes align with the rubber bumper pad at front of fender area.

View attachment 1371186

View attachment 1371187
Yes that is the bracket. If the front bumper has never been removed from the car they will still be in place. You will have removed all of the obvious mounting bolts and it still will be mounted solidly to the car until you look deeper and find them. Almost every 70 Charger I have seen that the bumper has been off these two bolts ae not put back in place.

Well today I got the front bumper off,thanks guys for your guidance 8 bolts and off it came. Dam it was heavy. With no park lights the bolts to the j-hook to bumper made it easy to get to them. Had to cut one bolt off valance,not bad for sitting since 2006.

20221124_105245.jpg

20221124_112026.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back