• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

70 charger hellcat

Quickitty

Local time
9:20 PM
Reaction score
I’m thinking it might be time to line up another project
Does anyone know if a hellcat will fit in a 70 charger with stock hood closed(without cutting a hole for a scoop)?
Would it take an aftermarket K frame, mounts?
Any suggestions on where to find info.
Also thinking of a 6spd manual, I understand the cross member has to be cut for clearance, anybody know of a kit for this adaptation? Or am I on my own?
Thanks

Despite being a 69' you might still want to check this out:

What engine is original to the charger?

if its anything special like a 383 magnum/440 magnum I would urge you to leave it as is.

Now if it is a 225/318/383 2bbl go ahead and swap it. Hellcat motors are awesome even though I'm more of an old school guy.

If you want a hell cat buy one and sell me the 70. I like old cars for what they are not what they aren’t. Just saying ... I guess that’s why I don’t mind a carter carb, points and drum brakes... I think all these resto mod cars are a fad and when it all comes down to it what’s left besides the tin? Your choice best of luck.. superchargers are cool but the low rumble of a big block is unmistakable..IMO

My 68 Charger with a RMS front suspension the Hellcat clears by 3/4 of an inch. I have seen others with stock K frame fit also. But I’m not sure about the he differences in the 70, if any. US Cartools sells trans cross members and tunnel covers. Mine are ordered and on the way.

37588C88-CC25-4AF9-B867-60B5AF192DEF.jpeg 5AFEF11C-8BE4-42D4-B862-F24D7CB438CE.jpeg

I am fairly traditional but... 700 hp, turn key, #3500, I have no idea how you could resist that. That’s why you need multiple vehicles!

You'd have to gut a Charger to get it to 3500 lbs.

Big block = mega torque is pretty easy and cheaper IMO and you aren’t cutting up another ... but hey it’s yours

a hellcat challenger is 4800 lbs a 2nd generation charger is around 4000. by the time you tie it together to keep it from turning into a pretzel i would think you're still a little lighter. with a tune , a couple pulleys and some injectors you're around 1000 hp. I would do it if I had the coin and the time, maybe someday. A guy in chelsea right up the road from me is doing one haven't seen it yet, but I heard he's changing the look of the outside of the car also. that I wouldn't do. you're car do what you want, that's why they call it resto-mod. Have fun!

The front valance has to be extended lower to cover the intercooler and larger radiator. Yeah, it changes the look of the car.

that's not to bad, i could live with that jmo. hopefully no hood scoop.

I like and have several fully stock cars, in the home stretch on doing a 69 340 4spd all matching numbers Barracuda, it great and I love it.
I see no harm in taking a car base charger that needs restored, no engine and doing a resto mod. Planning on keeping the body stock, that’s why I wanted to make sure the engine would clear without having to cut a hole in the hood. At most I might change the suspension with some updates, install better brakes, exhaust and wheels, add A/C (I live in Florida), generally keep the rest stock. Add some reliably and HP while keeping all the cool factors.
When a 2nd gen charger brings $200K (video above) someone has to agree with that formula.

The front valance has to be extended lower to cover the intercooler and larger radiator. Yeah, it changes the look of the car.
I am not using the stock Hellcat intercooler and radiator, we are fabricating our own to avoid the lower hanging. I will post pics in my build thread when done and hopefully some mock-up pics.

Take that back Ice box Performance is fabricating my intercooler and radiator. Here is a photo of the install of a fabrication intercooler and radiator in one with a Hellcat in a Dodge Trail Duster.

4A389EBA-009E-4AF0-A72D-FB8B02A95E3E.jpeg

Go to SEMA sometime and see how many restored stock show ponies are there verses how many resto mods of all brands. I guess effortless power, instant starting, cold/hot starting every time, precise steering and effective braking are all a "fad"... It never fails when this subject comes up (which is often), there is always someone who wants to boo hoo putting modern power, suspension, etc. in an old car. They always say stupid crap like "my carb has been working for 30 years" or "my drum brakes work just fine"... I am sure that when the first electric starter came out all the hand cranks guys said similar stupid things, or how about those failure prone rubber tires.. the old wooden ones last forever.. LOL

Go to SEMA sometime and see how many restored stock show ponies are there verses how many resto mods of all brands. I guess effortless power, instant starting, cold/hot starting every time, precise steering and effective braking are all a "fad"... It never fails when this subject comes up (which is often), there is always someone who wants to boo hoo putting modern power, suspension, etc. in an old car. They always say stupid crap like "my carb has been working for 30 years" or "my drum brakes work just fine"... I am sure that when the first electric starter came out all the hand cranks guys said similar stupid things, or how about those failure prone rubber tires.. the old wooden ones last forever.. LOL
I reply i'm modernizing my old car!

Auto Transport Service
Back