• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

70 charger straightening steering wheel

wantonebad70

Local time
3:37 PM
Reaction score
70 charger straightening steering wheel Can somebody tell me the easiest way to straighten my steering wheel? Maybe some pictures

Do you need an alignment or is the steering wheel actually bent?

If you need it aligned, take it to a shop to have it done right. Or, if you're wanting it done yourself and done quick, jack the front of the car up (use jack stands). put your steering wheel at straight. Check tire pressures and set them all at the correct level. Go to the back of the car, pick a side (driver or passenger) and look across the outer face of the back tire to the outer face of the front tire. Hard to describe what it is you're looking for, but as you're looking across it, see which way the front tire is pointed and use the front face of the tires as a guide, you're going to want it exactly in line with the rear. Go to the front, loosen the tie rod and run it in whichever direction it needs to go. Go back to the back, look across the rear tire to the front, and get it closer to straight. Do this until the front tire is exactly lined up with the rear. Repeat the procedure for the other side. Then, when you're done, adjust the front end so that the front tires toe slightly inward, maybe a thirty second of an inch, it's not much. Make sure they are toed in equally. This will only work if the front and rear track of the car hasn't been messed with (no wheel extensions, funny offsets, wrong rear end, etc. If you look across the back tire and it looks offset from the front, this wont work. Make sure to run the locknuts back down on the tie rods when you're done.

I've done this on my first gen dodge diesel with no problem; no pull while on the highway or steering wheel misalignment. Took me about 20 minutes, and that was with the driver tire pointing hard left and the passenger tire pointing soft right. It was a nightmare to drive on the highway. (was like that when i first bought it) If you decide to do it yourself, it's all on you, I will not be responsible for anything that happens as a result.

Can't say for sure on B-Bodies, but on my 67 A-body, the steering column and steering box input shaft are keyed to only go on in one position, so Garrett is correct in what he said above. You have to set the steering wheel in the center position, then adjust the tie-rod ends to get your front wheels aligned with the rear.

What I did to get it close enough to take to the alignment shop was take a long straight 2x4 board and align it to the outer face of the back tires. I then adjusted the tie rod ends until the outer face of the front tires were parallel to the boards. I then took a tape measure and measured from tire to tire on the front and back of the front tires, and adjusted the tie rods until the front of the tire measurement was slightly less than the back of the tire measurement (so it was toed-in about 1/16" or so).

I then took a quick little test drive and carefully drove it to the alignment shop and let them finish dialing it in. They set it at -.14 degrees of toe-in per wheel, and set negative Camber and positive Caster as well.

On my daily driver, I've got no "master" tooth in the steering wheel.
I can tweak it if necessary. (Not twerk)
But that's not the right way.
Is your steering wheel that far off?
You can eyeball the tie rods on yours and adjust it, and you may get the toe right.
But probably won't get it right without using some type of measurement equipment.
At least a pair of toe boards.
Put lube on something under the front tires.
They have to move freely.
It does't take much to move the toe setting.
If you need specs, use the skosh chart.

Last edited:
There is another current thread about doing this via turning both tie rod sleeves the same amount in the same direction. Mark them first.

Thanks guys it’s off to the right alottle boy and I just wanted to straighten it

There is another current thread about doing this via turning both tie rod sleeves the same amount in the same direction. Mark them first.

I believe you need to turn them in opposite directions. If you turn them both the same way, wouldn't it change your toe? The thought is to hold the steering wheel in center position, then adjust both tie rod adjusting sleeves equal amounts to move both wheels the same direction, meaning you are shortening one tie rod assembly and lengthening the other to move both tires an equal amount until both the steering wheel and tires are centered.

Don't trust me though, as I tried this on my Barracuda and went the wrong way with them and before I knew it, I had it all messed up!! :)

If you turn them opposite directions (or if you turn only one), the toe changes.

Same direction, same amount, does not affect toe, but does affect relationship of wheels to steering wheel.

OK but what do I do inners and outers all four???
wait i get it you just turn the sleeves and it turns both inner and outer!!!
thanks!

Last edited:
Auto Transport Service
Back