• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

70 Convertible Rear 1/4 Glass Down Stop?

PurpleBeeper

Local time
7:06 PM
Reaction score
First, let me say that my car has been taken WAY apart several times by myself and the previous owner. I'm putting it back together and I'm confused. I'm trying to set the lower stop on the rear quarter windows & the factory service manual has me baffled.

The up-stops for the windows are obvious & have already been adjusted, but I cannot find the "down" window stops...could be missing off the car?
a. The FSM shows two bolts holding the down-stop, but my car doesn't have those two bolts.
b. I bought some convertible down-stops off of ebay, but they only have one bolt, not two, and I cannot see where to attach them (if they're the right part...might be another set of up-stops???)

Can someone please give me a clue what in the heck I should do? THANK YOU

upload_2018-11-3_10-50-41.png

See in your diagram "regulator stop". Might be a slotted screw with a lock nut. Loosen the nut and turn the slot. The slotted piece is an eccentric (cam) and doesn't have to be turned much. Raise the window slightly to take the weight off the eccentric.

Should resemble something like this...
Screenshot_20180708-223106.jpg

Last edited:
I have a few of the metal brackets without rubber. They bolt on with two bolts. These are on power window cars.

See in your diagram "regulator stop". Might be a slotted screw with a lock nut. Loosen the nut and turn the slot. The slotted piece is an eccentric (cam) and doesn't have to be turned much. Raise the window slightly to take the weight off the eccentric.

View attachment 674864

View attachment 674864
Thanks kid. I found that screw/nut with the hugely oblong cam behind it. What is that cam supposed to contact to create the lower stop? I'm looking up inside there & I can roll the window all the way down (off the track a little) & turn that huge oblong cam all the way around and it doesn't seem to have anything to hit.

ALL HELP IS APPRECIATED!

I looked at the factory diagram again.... Is there a chance that my "up/down" regulator adjustment/attachment is so far down that it's making the regulator "out of the range" of the down stop? (& maybe up stop too since that's not seeming to have a contact spot either). One of the nuts for that up/down regulator adjustment/attachment was completely missing & that stud (rearward one) was completely down on the bottom of its adjustment slot. Does that make any sense?

Last edited:
What is that cam supposed to contact to create the lower stop? I'm looking up inside there & I can roll the window all the way down (off the track a little) & turn that huge oblong cam all the way around and it doesn't seem to have anything to hit.

First off, I'm not familiar exactly with the way your adjuster was designed. Just how most of these work.

(Is this manual or power windows? I should have asked this first)

Don't loosen the nut that holds the cam too much. Just enough to be able to turn the cam. Too loose, it might be missing what it stops against.

If it's manual, with the window crank handle attached, you need to have the window up about an inch or two from where it normally sits in the down position. Then slowly bring it down and try to feel it stop against the cam. Turning the cam and raising the window up and down slightly, it's a "feel for it" until you can find where it makes a difference. The fun part is when you get the adjustment you're looking for, is to be able to tighten the lock nut without turning the cam.

There is no "up stop" on the regulator. Just the cam that stops the "down". The "up stop" is the slotted bracket near the top of the door.

I also noticed that on the diagram you posted, there is "down stop" bracket just under the "up stop". So that should be used also when you get the regulator set if it's possible.

Is there anyway you can look at the other side and compare what you might be missing?

First off, I'm not familiar exactly with the way your adjuster was designed. Just how most of these work.

(Is this manual or power windows? I should have asked this first)

Don't loosen the nut that holds the cam too much. Just enough to be able to turn the cam. Too loose, it might be missing what it stops against.

If it's manual, with the window crank handle attached, you need to have the window up about an inch or two from where it normally sits in the down position. Then slowly bring it down and try to feel it stop against the cam. Turning the cam and raising the window up and down slightly, it's a "feel for it" until you can find where it makes a difference. The fun part is when you get the adjustment you're looking for, is to be able to tighten the lock nut without turning the cam.

There is no "up stop" on the regulator. Just the cam that stops the "down". The "up stop" is the slotted bracket near the top of the door.

I also noticed that on the diagram you posted, there is "down stop" bracket just under the "up stop". So that should be used also when you get the regulator set if it's possible.

Is there anyway you can look at the other side and compare what you might be missing?
Thanks again kryslerkid.
1. Manual windows
2. I don't seem to have those "down stops" on my car. Missing? I bought some supposed convertible down stops on ebay, but they only have one bolt and I "suspect" they're up stops??? I don't see a place on my car to mount those. Chtampa seems to think those down stops in the diagram are for power window cars & just got put into the manual window diagram by accident.
3. Your "feel for it" approach sounds like a good one. That's basically what I was doing, but maybe I do have that cam nut way too loose, so I will give it another try.
4. I do have the other side which seems to be working well, so I will take a look at it to see if it helps me figure this out. Too bad I'd just got that side all re-assembled...oh, well.

I wish I had a way to post some pictures....my phone is dead

Chtampa seems to think those down stops in the diagram are for power window cars & just got put into the manual window diagram by accident.

Illus. Page 23-18 in Parts Manual shows the Power Window components in a little box.
upload_2018-11-4_11-20-17.png

Thanks again kryslerkid.
1. Manual windows
2. I don't seem to have those "down stops" on my car. Missing? I bought some supposed convertible down stops on ebay, but they only have one bolt and I "suspect" they're up stops??? I don't see a place on my car to mount those. Chtampa seems to think those down stops in the diagram are for power window cars & just got put into the manual window diagram by accident.
3. Your "feel for it" approach sounds like a good one. That's basically what I was doing, but maybe I do have that cam nut way too loose, so I will give it another try.
4. I do have the other side which seems to be working well, so I will take a look at it to see if it helps me figure this out. Too bad I'd just got that side all re-assembled...oh, well.

I wish I had a way to post some pictures....my phone is dead
My car doesn’t have those down stops either, no holes in the body for them. All I can come up with was to adjust those cams. Seems to work fine. These windows sure are a joy to install and adjust

Thanks guys. I did finally get a better look inside the quarter panel at the window regulator. There is a 1/4" diameter round stud on one of the arms that hits the cam. Seems to be working well now. THANKS FOR THE SUPPORT!

Auto Transport Service
Back