• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

70 Coronet R/T Tail Light Panel Question

RT6PK

Local time
4:29 PM
Reaction score
I have a '70 Coronet R/T. The trunk lock does not fit flush against the back side of the tail light panel; or actually the tail light trim panel does not fit flush against the body. So when I go to unlock the trunk, the key scrapes paint off of the tail light panel. I though about making a shim to shim the lock cylinder out closer to the panel, but then the retainer clip wouldn't have any grooves to slide into. I looked at a few cars at the recent Mopar Nationals, and only one out of three had the trim panel fitting flush against the body. I talked to the guy who restored the car years ago, he said it was like this when he got it and that i t didn't look like there was any collision damage. Has anyone else experienced this? Is it just the way the stuff fits?

Second question. I figured this would be a good time to replace the crappy R/T emblem on the tail panel. The existing emblem is glued on. The repop that I bought has studs on it and came with speed nuts. Are the studs and nuts correct? Do I need to drill holes on the body to make room? or does the tail light panel have enough of a gap between it and to body for clearance? Any help will be greatly appreciated.

20170821_182820.jpg
20170821_182825.jpg

That is 100% the way the factory did it. Look at my unrestored original, key rub marks. But the r/t emblem was hammed over on the back side originally. Like two studs that were flattened on the back side.
IMG_20170821_195537434.jpg

If the emblem is glued, that means its been replaced before. So are the DODGE letters glued too? The original cast had nibs that were hammered down, like a rivet (photo).

FWIW my lock gap looks like yours. True WS23V0_?

tail-emblem.jpg

If the emblem is glued, that means its been replaced before. So are the DODGE letters glued too? The original cast had nibs that were hammered down, like a rivet (photo).

FWIW my lock gap looks like yours. True WS23V0_?

View attachment 504683
Yeah it's a real V Code.
Thanks for the info

Auto Transport Service
Back