• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

70 Engine Wiring Harness Help

HawkRod

Formerly hsorman
Staff member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
1:56 AM
Reaction score
The wiring on my 1970 Roadrunner is terrible, due to people who have hacked and modified it.

I have purchased a Year One (M&H) Engine wiring harness (modified for electronic ignition). Problem is, I can't identify what the strange connectors are (see arrows and detail pictures). They almost MUST be for the ignition/ballast resistor, but these don't have this type of connector.

Any help and/or pictures of an installation would be greatly appreciated!

Hawk

Attachments

• Engine_Harness.jpg
    Engine_Harness.jpg
    75.5 KB · Views: 1,651
  • 20120211_1001.jpg
    20120211_1001.jpg
    73.6 KB · Views: 1,404
wiring

i just put same thing on my 70 barracuda,they are for resistor.

Thanks for the replies, especially for the picture - worth a thousand words!

So it seems like points cars use a single ballast resistor, while electronic ignition cars use the double.

So, the bottom line for any of you who may purchase the electronic ignition replacement wiring for a points car: The ballast resistor will need to change and will (of course) look different. I am still trying to decide where to mount the electronic ignition module. Seems to make less sense now to hide it...

Hawk

Thanks for the replies, especially for the picture - worth a thousand words!

So it seems like points cars use a single ballast resistor, while electronic ignition cars use the double.

So, the bottom line for any of you who may purchase the electronic ignition replacement wiring for a points car: The ballast resistor will need to change and will (of course) look different. I am still trying to decide where to mount the electronic ignition module. Seems to make less sense now to hide it...

Hawk

My 70 Road Runner has an orange box setup and a single wire resistor. I bought the car this way. Is this wrong?

My 70 Road Runner has an orange box setup and a single wire resistor. I bought the car this way. Is this wrong?

No, it is not wrong, just different.

My 1970 currently has electronic ignition that has been spliced into the original wiring harness, and uses the single wire ballast resistor. The problem in my case is that my wiring has been hacked up by people who have worked on it over the years. You can buy (which I did) a complete wiring harness from Year One that includes the wiring as if Chrysler wired it originally for electronic ignition, and then it gets the dual ballast resistor.

As a matter of fact, I believe the recommendation by Year One is to use the NON-Electronic ignition if you are using an after market system.

Hope this helps,

Hawk

I got my replacement harness form my 70 from Evans. It was already set up for a single resistor.

Attachments

• ballast resistor.JPG
    ballast resistor.JPG
    118.5 KB · Views: 733
Last edited by a moderator:
Auto Transport Service
Back