• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

70 graduation present

ord27

Local time
1:37 PM
Reaction score
I've joined many discussions about this car, but thought that I should start my own thread. I'm not sure where to put this, but here it lands.
My youngest daughter loves the old cars like I do. In high school, she drove a '68 Camaro RS, and my '59 Chevy Apache before I restored it. I promised her a car when she graduates from college. It just so happened, that I acquired 2 1970 Dodge Coronets. Mine, is a purple Bee that will get transformed into a mix of new and old. Hers is an original 318 air car with bench seat and column sift automatic.
She graduates in December, so I've spent some time making it mechanically new/nice/reliable.

I've already replaced the a/c stuff, restored the wiper assembly and motor, and have a new steering column waiting to go in.

Now, I'm doing a 4 wheel disc brake conversion, new springs and a k frame swap , with all new bushings.
Since my car will have a more modern coil over front end, I'm taking the k member from it and installing it into her car. The entire thing has been restored (and it's clean !!!!)
here are some pics
mine is the purple one

axcel2.jpg
5.jpg
3.jpg
2.jpg
1.jpg
8.jpg
mine.jpg

Man, when I graduated, I got a "I guess you'll be moving out soon" I hope she knows how blessed she is!

she's a great kid. I'm the blessed one

Yup, I never could understand parents tossing their kid out, or kids not moving out. How f#cked up are the kids that even their parents don’t want them around?
My girl comes and goes as she pleases; although she’s engaged she spends time with us when she can and with her fiancé when she can. She’s had steady work since age 12, always been a top student, including being the youngest ever top student in the entire school. At age 18 she had three jobs, one full time. When she left for college she had $65,000 of her own money.
Now at nearly 20 she is thriving in second year of medical school, paid for entirely by her even though her mom and I have money. My best friend gave her a truck, otherwise I would have. We always treated her with respect, expected the same. Raised her that you get to EARN free time by working.
The photo is of her and the then Prime Minister of Canada.
I’m not pointing this out to brag, but kids are what you make them. Daughters especially are affected by their relationship with their fathers. It sounds like you are doing well by your daughter.

E47C89C5-382D-4666-88A1-CCA3F2C9320F.jpeg

Last edited:
That's awesome. I gave my kids each a car for their 16th birthday. My son got my first car I ever owned, a restored 73 Road Runner with a 340. I loved that car, and now he does. My daughter got my 2007 California Special Mustang. I ended up driving a used, hand me down Buick Rendezvous, but I wouldn't have traded the situation for the world (plus, I then built my 70 Road Runner :))!

By the way, each of the kids got a contract with the car that they had to sign. They had the ability to buy the car for $1.00 when they turned 21, but if they broke ANY of the rules we established, even ONCE, the car was gone, and they knew it.

Me and my son in 1997
Hawk_Brad.jpg

My son in the car when it was his
Brad_Roadrunner.jpg

My daughter's Mustang
GTCS_top.jpg

great post guys!! The daughter is home for spring break. She offered to help pull the k frame from my car.
9.jpg
10.jpg
12.jpg
13.jpg
11.jpg

I installed the revamped K frame. I noticed that the previous owner welded on the lower control arm stiffening plates ! I'm going to finish out the disc brake conversion, then install the torsion bars.
It's getting there, slowly but surely

14.jpg
15.jpg

I installed the revamped K frame. I noticed that the previous owner welded on the lower control arm stiffening plates ! I'm going to finish out the disc brake conversion, then install the torsion bars.
It's getting there, slowly but surely

View attachment 739162 View attachment 739163
Nice progress! Little by little gets the job done!

hey guys....I guess I'm a bit ignorant....
Bilstein front shocks come with 2 rubber bushings. Do I sandwich both on either side of the fender? Or do I just use 1?
16.jpg

Use both. One below the inner fender and one above. I have been very happy with my Bilstein shocks - they seem to work great.

Here are two shots from my car during construction in case it helps.

Cheers,

Hawk

IMG_4250.JPG

IMG_4391.JPG

Like always all you here about are the Bad kids.
There are a lot of good kids out there,you
have one of those,good job raising her!!
Sure she will appreciate it.

well, I buttoned up the spindle and the control arms before I mounted the shocks. Is it possible to install the shocks without releasing the spindle or upper control arm?

I tend to ask questions before I have given things a good look for myself. Sorry about that.

More progress...
I'm not diggin the pre-bent lines that I bought for my disc brake conversion. I guess I need to add another loop or bend

20.jpg
19.jpg
18.jpg
17.jpg

Very cool that your daughter likes cool cars.
Shes lucky to have a cool dad as well.
Hopefully she also has a reliable daily driver that spares the 70 Coronet some miles

When I graduated I couldnt leave the farm fast enough. Lol

I really enjoyed you r build thread hsorman. I skimmed through it, but it looks like you did an amazing job. I looked for more pics of your firewall hole issue. I didn't see what the final solution was. It looks like you went with a different boost set up.
I now have discovered that I have the same hole in firewall problem. I bought the kit from the same comapny that you did.
I'm waiting until Monday to give them a call

Auto Transport Service
Back