• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

'70 GTX Hemi Swap

MidWestMopar

Local time
10:21 AM
Reaction score
New Project Started here, fresh out of the barn and ready for a 5.7 Hemi Swap......
1.jpg2.jpg3.jpg4.jpg5.jpg

It will be a work in progress for a while, but I'm hoping by next summer it'll be going strong. For now the plan is to keep the Hemi more or less stock, Possibly cam, headers and MegaSquirt Controller. Need to source a smallblock 727. 5.7L is a '07 out of a jeep with 50,000 miles....I also have the 5-speed trans if anyone is interested in it.
Eventually I'd like to migrate to a Turbo build with a Gear vendors overdrive....we'll see if that dream comes to fruition or not.
Body work will wait for now...just want to have a nice driver. Right now it has a nice combination of 14", 15" and snow tires...which will probably get changed to 17" Black D-Window steel wheels.
I'm sure I'll have questions for all of you that have been down this road before. Though for now I'm just trying to get the 440 running decent enough to test brakes and suspension.

JR

1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg 4.jpg 5.jpg

Not sure I could do the 5.7 swap on that car. Don't get me wrong but that would be pretty cool restored. Its your car and I respect that so do whatever makes you happy. Just my 2 cents......

Welcome and good luck. Nice car! Always wanted a GTX but never found a good one I could afford. I have several chargers tho. I live in the Black hills of South Dakota but have kids in Lincoln. Wife is from Stella just south of Nebraska City.

My plan is to only do what can be undone when/if I want to revert to primarily stock form. This car has been sitting for around 25 years and I think it's time to revive it. For me I think I will be able to drive/enjoy the car more often doing this swap, though time will tell.

Here's the other toy... 410 smallblock, Procharged.
Dart1.jpgDart2.jpgDart3.jpg

At The Track... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tf7sY6mIz9k

Dart1.jpg Dart2.jpg Dart3.jpg

Sweet Dart! Always wanted one of those but am running out of time. Good luck with the GTX project. Judging by the Dart the GTX is in good hands!

That GTX looks like it's in pretty good shape, good luck with your build and Welcome.
I'm kind of partial to 70 GTX's.

Yes the 70 GTX is like the Holy Grail! I was looking for one and finally settled for a 68 Charger. There scarce even compared to the 68 Charger. Love the color. Are you keeping the original color?
Don

When I finally get to the point of doing body work on the car it will stay the factory purple.
Progress might be a bit slow, though I'll post up pics here as I work on the swap.

Nice GTX. I've got a 68 myself. Love the 70 model year. I'm a build me like you want them guy. Do what makes you happy. Good luck and check in often.

Well the time has come to dive into the project a bit, starting with the fuel system....

The internals of the stock fuel tank had seen better days
11.jpg

Got some parts in....
10.jpg

Fuel Pump and Tank float cut down to size and ready to drop in..
12.jpg
13.jpg

Now for question time!
I'm looking at motor mounts and there's two basic styles the Spool Bushing and Biscuit type...what's preferred?

Next the Flex plate to bolt up to a 727....I see a couple of options, the Mopar part number seems to be out of stock everywhere, the ATI Style says will not fit 5.7L Jeep?? The 5.7 I'm dealing with came from a 2007 Jeep....do I need to be worried?

I'll have bunches of more questions, but thanks for now!

11.jpg 10.jpg 12.jpg 13.jpg

If you are using the stock k frame, use the stock style mounts (poly locs from shumacher). You have an lx based 5.7 from the pics, so just use the factory one (balancer) or get the ATI for the car engine.

If you are using the stock k frame, use the stock style mounts (poly locs from shumacher). You have an lx based 5.7 from the pics, so just use the factory one (balancer) or get the ATI for the car engine.

Is there clearance advantages to the stock style mounts? The Poly Locs are $200ish + $140ish for the mount adapter to the 5.7, the spool bushing mounts are around $280 with shipping.
Not sure I followed the 2nd part of your response.

Check out "70 barn find " link he did the same with a 70 RR

You are going to love that engine in the GTX. Don't know about how it is with a 3 speed but the NAG1 in mine is awesome. I'm getting hi teens-low20 mpg with my set up. Mine was NO numbers matched anything when I started plus it was a piece of swiss cheese so I did what I wanted. Here is a link to my build if you are interested
http://www.forbbodiesonly.com/moparforum/showthread.php?1121-B-Body-stiffening

You are going to love that engine in the GTX. Don't know about how it is with a 3 speed but the NAG1 in mine is awesome. I'm getting hi teens-low20 mpg with my set up. Mine was NO numbers matched anything when I started plus it was a piece of swiss cheese so I did what I wanted. Here is a link to my build if you are interested
http://www.forbbodiesonly.com/moparforum/showthread.php?1121-B-Body-stiffening

Wow that's quite a build for sure, awesome job! The body work on this car will have to wait, planning on driving it for a while and saving until that can be completed. I'll be going with a 727 transmission and probably a gear vendors overdrive at some point. With a list a mile long of things to do/purchase I'm trying not to get discouraged before I barely start, haha. It'll be alright though, 1 piece at a time.

Auto Transport Service
Back