• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

70 GTX hood bulge questions...

Kern Dog

Life is full of turns. Build your car to handle.
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
10:54 AM
Reaction score
I was given a beat up hood from a 70 GTX. It is NOT an Air Grabber hood, but one that has some sort of opening at the cowl end. I'm not very familiar with these hoods. The bracket/grille/whatever that bolts to the back of the raised section is missing. Does anyone have a picture of one of these hoods OR the part that fits in the back? I'm thinking of sectioning the bulge into a 69-72 Valiant hood to use in a 72 Duster.
Thanks, Greg

Hi Greg, It's not a great pic but it's the only one I've got at the moment. The metal section you can see bolts to the opening you have at the base of the hood. Inside the section is a glued metal inlay which designates the engine size. In the case of GTX's either HEMI or 440 goes there. Hope this helps.

Attachments

• GTX hood.jpg
    GTX hood.jpg
    24.4 KB · Views: 213
Thanks guys.
NO, It will not go on the Charger. With all of my Mr Potato Head stuff that I do, The exterior of the Charger will remain very close to stock aside from wheels and tires. Oh, and the small front spoiler.
I have several Valiant hoods here, and I thought rather than scrap this GTX hood, I'd try something different. Some may recall a Duster that was called "DustAAR" that had many styling cues from an AAR 'Cuda integrated in. The builder melded an AAR hood scoop into a fiberglass Duster/Valiant hood, as well as using AAR side stripes, exhaust and a Direct Connection rear spoiler. My brother in laws '72 Duster will be a semi-custom, and this is just one of the ideas that I am tossing around.
That "plug" that fits into the back end looks to be a one year only part. Big surprise...I'm sorta used to that, owning a Mopar and all. I'll keep my eyes peeled. Thanks again.

Thanks guys.
NO, It will not go on the Charger. With all of my Mr Potato Head stuff that I do, The exterior of the Charger will remain very close to stock aside from wheels and tires. Oh, and the small front spoiler.
I have several Valiant hoods here, and I thought rather than scrap this GTX hood, I'd try something different. Some may recall a Duster that was called "DustAAR" that had many styling cues from an AAR 'Cuda integrated in. The builder melded an AAR hood scoop into a fiberglass Duster/Valiant hood, as well as using AAR side stripes, exhaust and a Direct Connection rear spoiler. My brother in laws '72 Duster will be a semi-custom, and this is just one of the ideas that I am tossing around.
That "plug" that fits into the back end looks to be a one year only part. Big surprise...I'm sorta used to that, owning a Mopar and all. I'll keep my eyes peeled. Thanks again.
I have got a couple of them if you need one. Ronnie

Auto Transport Service
Back