• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

70 GTX Trunk Remove & Replace

Kris70gtx

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
2:43 AM
Reaction score
Hello all,

As you can see my trunk pan and extensions really need replaced, luckily its the most rusty part on the car. I have been doing research and would like to give it a try instead of paying someone to do it. Before I dig into it much more, I wanted to see if anybody had some helpful tips. Do I need to do any supporting of the quarter panels, frame etc before I take the whole floor and extensions out? I will be doing it with all 4 tires on the ground, not jacked up or anything. Also, im thinking I will probably have to get a two piece panel, I dont see getting a one piece in there unless I took the tailpanel or rear crossmember out. Anything else I should look out for when doing this? Thanks!
20210130_123515.jpg

your best bet is to remove the tail panel and use a one piece trunk. it will also allow you to get in there and work...... these cars are all the same, I've done like 15 of them.... no bracing required, you may need to jack the rear end a little to reinstall the tail panel, no biggie

trunk1.jpg

trunk2.jpg

trunk3.jpg

Yeah not having to splice the two piece pan would be nice, so realigning the tail panel is pretty easy? Also with the wheels on the ground that won't effect anything right? I know these bodies are pretty tough I just don't want anything to get tweaked.

i've done them both ways.... wheels and no wheels

the tail panel will go back on exactly how it came off.....leave the trunk lid on the car, it'll keep you level and help guide you back together

rrs5_zpsb8abd319-jpg.jpg

Last edited:
just dive in, it's not rocket science...... you want to separate the tail panel at the rear of the gutters, unlike the pic below.....

hawk1_zpsfd10358e-jpg.jpg

136067-060dc6d6eaad23d87716ca0256cc226a.jpg

Awesome thanks for all the help, im gonna dive in and get it knocked out.

I'm about to do the same thing to my 69 Coronet and was wondering if you had any lessons from your replacing your trunk pan. I think mine trunk is in a bit worse shape; I know you all like pictures, so here are a number I took. Based on what you see, what do you suggest? Thanks! Terry

1-left bumper brace.jpg 2-right bumper brace.jpg 3-tail-1.jpg 4-tail-2.jpg 5-tail-3.jpg 6-tail-4.jpg 7-driver side-1.jpg 8-driver side-2.jpg 9-passenger side-1.jpg 10-passenger side-2.jpg

I'm about to do the same thing to my 69 Coronet and was wondering if you had any lessons from your replacing your trunk pan. I think mine trunk is in a bit worse shape; I know you all like pictures, so here are a number I took. Based on what you see, what do you suggest? Thanks! Terry

View attachment 1157049 View attachment 1157050 View attachment 1157051 View attachment 1157052 View attachment 1157053 View attachment 1157054 View attachment 1157055 View attachment 1157056 View attachment 1157057 View attachment 1157058

just a little off the back and sides please | For B Bodies Only Classic Mopar Forum

Thanks, eldubb440! I remember seeing that thread someplace. After looking at what you did -- and did so well -- I am feeling a bit lightheaded. I've got some questions that I'll post on your thread. Thanks! Terry

Auto Transport Service
Back