• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

'70 Hemi Resonator Question

PurpleBeeper

Local time
12:08 AM
Reaction score
Sorry, I know basically nothing about this, so please bear with me. I want to quiet down my car for a baby to ride in it on long trips. I ditched the Hush Thrush mufflers & now have stock style Walker mufflers with 2-1/4" tail pipes & stock chrome tips stepped down from Heddman 1-3/4" headers & what's left of the old 2-1/2" exhaust (no cross-over). It's still not quiet enough. I'm not worried about "correctness" and I've got a 440, not a Hemi.

I "thought" that 70 Hemi Roadrunners got an extra set of resonators (glass packs) in addition to the mufflers.
1. Is this correct?
2. Do they quiet down the car a lot, a little, not at all?
3. Are Hemi resonators 2-1/4" in & out?
4. What do I need to add the Hemi resonators? (assuming they actually work)
THANKS FOR YOUR ADVICE!

Have you considered a layer of sound deadener matt on the floor boards ?

and an extra thick layer of sound deadener attached to the trunk divider most certainly helps .
when I was a child , the humming sound of the 440 in my dad's charger R/T would put me in a deep sleep dreaming about land of the lost and eating count chocula. to this day I cherish that sound. don't rob your children of it

and an extra thick layer of sound deadener attached to the trunk divider most certainly helps .
when I was a child , the humming sound of the 440 in my dad's charger R/T would put me in a deep sleep dreaming about land of the lost and eating count chocula. to this day I cherish that sound. don't rob your children of it

And now you live in the land of Puff The Magic Dragon and can dream of eating Capt'n Crunch with Halle Berry's.

OK guys, I think I will add some sound deadening mat, at least in the back seat area.....but back to the questions about the Hemi resonators.....anyone know any of the answers?

Pics for ‘68

DC98B97B-23A2-4983-BBD3-7A0F688CD91D.jpeg 4197CF3A-760B-4A0F-997B-9CDC38EE0220.jpeg

From what I know resonators change the sound but it may not be much quieter.
If you want it quiet add them anyway. I added them to my Challenger and it is a bit quieter.
My personal experience there.
I think the best thing is add an X or H pipe I saw a test with a decibel meter and adding the crossover reduced the noise by 10% and no loss of power. The X pipe was quieter than the H pipe but only a little bit.
There is a reason all OE exhaust dual systems had a crossover if they could of left it out and saved money they would have.

Auto Transport Service
Back