• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

70 Roadrunner 727 want to convert to 4 speed.....

Pat70rr

Local time
12:57 AM
Reaction score
Im thinking of converting my 727 to a 4speed am I nuts.....??? I heard some horror stories and read some happy converts....just kinda bored with the auto...just don t want to jump into an empty pool mechanics not a problem what to buy is scaring me not a standard guy so I see there is alot out there which Im not familiar with and prices are a key too hate getting taken.....

I'm doing the same to my 70 as well but I'm starting out with no motor no tranny. Was an auto car though. I'm doing a 440 and 4 speed but I'm using the McLeod hydraulic clutch conversion. Easy to do and don't have to mess with any of the linkages. I've done a few of the hydraulic clutch conversions on a few other cars before.

Yes, you're nuts. Shift kit, service, Gear-Vendors whatever. I would spend money elsewhere. Handling, tires, cosmetics, anything.

Yes, you're nuts. Shift kit, service, Gear-Vendors whatever. I would spend money elsewhere. Handling, tires, cosmetics, anything.

Haha yea I think I might be......Dennis

Hi Pat- I just converted my 70 RR from a 727 to an A833 4speed with a pistol grip. It is awesome. It's like driving a different car. If you like to drive stick over automatic, it's a no-brainer. I see you are in NY. I'm in NJ and can give you some good leads if you want. PM me.

Hi Pat- I just converted my 70 RR from a 727 to an A833 4speed with a pistol grip. It is awesome. It's like driving a different car. If you like to drive stick over automatic, it's a no-brainer. I see you are in NY. I'm in NJ and can give you some good leads if you want. PM me.

Thanks pm sent

Definately a two way street. You might try a manual valve before you ditch the 727. I used to LOVE stick shifts. Now, in my "old" I cannot row a big heavy clutch and 4 speed around, anymore.

And, all those years ago, many of my friends tried to convince me how great an auto is, how easy they are to rebuild, and so on. Now that I HAVE one, it's a lot of fun, too. I run an all-manual valve body.

You can do stuff like, "you want to" ease away from a light, (without attracting attention, LOL) or get on say, poor traction, like wet, (or snow in say a pickkup) you can "ease out" using 2nd gear.

I'm even thinking of putting an OD auto in my Dart. Once again, you can stick a manual valve in them (I'm told) and do away with all the electronics.

It's up to you. If I was still young or could handle a big clutch, I'd probably want a 4 / 5 speed. But you CAN make an automatic "fun" And, there is no doubt.......a good auto generally can outshift a 4 speed

Auto Transport Service
Back