• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

70 Roadrunner Convertible Spare Tire Hold-Down

PurpleBeeper

Local time
5:55 PM
Reaction score
OK, dumb thing #1, the guy who replaced my trunk floor threw away my spare tire hold-down bracket (many years ago). Dumb thing #2, I didn't notice.

Are convertible & hard top trunk hold downs the same/different? Where do I get one? I have a threaded rod (3/8" by looking at it) & a smaller thread wing nut (maybe 5/6") and no base bracket at all.

What do I need & where do I get the pieces?

I do know that the spare tire goes near the passenger rear quarter panel instead of in the center/front part of the trunk.

THANK YOU!

Found it. At least in 70 (& likely 68-70) the spare tire hold down bracket is the same as a 71-72 hardtop & AMD makes them

Found it. At least in 70 (& likely 68-70) the spare tire hold down bracket is the same as a 71-72 hardtop & AMD makes them
Is that the rod and large wingnut? I'm missing the wingnut in my 70 Satty droptop.

Is that the rod and large wingnut? I'm missing the wingnut in my 70 Satty droptop.
You know, I'm not positive. My rod looks like it's about 3/8" and the wing nut I have is only about 5/16". I went ahead and ordered the lower bracket & wing nut from a '71 Charger. I put the rod up against my spare and it looks about the right length. IF the wing nut comes in at 5/16", then I will probably just drill/tap one of them to 3/8". I did notice on my wing nut that it just has a captured square nut in it, so if you were careful you could bend back two little tabs & replace the square nut if you wanted to. Do you know the diameter of your rod? I'm about to have an extra wing nut one way or another.

I'm not sure of the rod size. I'll try to check tomorrow. What do they charge for the wing nut?

Auto Transport Service
Back