• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

70 Roadrunner Convt REMOVABLE Roll Bar

PurpleBeeper

Local time
1:39 PM
Reaction score
I'm thinking about putting a REMOVABLE roll bar in my 70 Roadrunner convertible. I want to use the bolt-together steel plates above/below the floor to weld the bar to. I'd buy a main hoop/removable side bar for a hardtop and bend some custom rear braces going to frame behind the rear seat. I want to put the top down, unbolt the bar, lift it up & out and put the rear seat back in for the street. Only the little "nubs" for the removable swing-out side bar would be permanent. What do you think? Thoughts/ideas about how to do this & what to watch out for? Thanks!

I've seen it done before, not in a convertible, a couple of sleeves/bungs in the tubbing on stubs welded to the plates bolted to the floor, thru bolted to hold the roll bar main hoop & back braces in place... Problem is, I don't think it would pass a NHRA style tech inspection though... I would check with whomever your local tracks tech officials are & see if it's legal for the class/mph/et you plan on running your car in... Or maybe get a tech book from NHRA or IHRA, 11.50 ET or faster requires a 4pt. roll bar minimum & there are very specific ways they need to be attached, there are other tech issues you will need to address also, depending on what ET/MPH... Good luck

I agree with Budnicks that if you engineer it correctly you might be able to get away with it. I wouldn't be surprised that a poorly designed roll bar can be a real hazard rather than a benefit. I mean, how will you know if it works unless you test it?? And I'm sure you don't want to find out. Do the homework on this or find a mechanical engineer to help if you intend for it to save your life one day.

Once you add a roll bar or cage to your car, you open yourself up for a bunch of rules that won't apply if your not running a roll bar/cage or a specific performance ET/MPH 11.50 or slower performance level, faster than that 11.49et you will be required to have a roll bar at the minimum, then all the other SFI rated equipment that is required for any specific ET/MPH...

Auto Transport Service
Back