• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

70 Roadrunner crank but no start

Bruce Meyer

Local time
5:50 PM
Reaction score
Have 70 Roadrunner 383 automatic convertible. My oil pressure, amp gauge and speedo were not working properly so I replaced them. I have a CVF Racing dual belt system with a 100 amp one wire alternator system. Since the voltage regulator is incorporated into the alternator, I was told the firewall mounted voltage regulator was not needed.I installed a 6 gauge, fused primary wire from the alternator to the battery. I also noticed, since my amp gauge never work, that no wire existed at the "J" terminal of the bulkhead. Amp gauge is wired properly at the gauge.
Car started and ran just fine prior to these changes but now it cranks but does not start. I checked coil ohms and all seems good. Any thoughts?

Thanks

Well you're either out of fuel or spark.. both are easy to check. Pull the coil wire from the cap and set the wire end 1/4" away from anything grounded, does it spark when cranking? If Yes, but it back on the cap, squirt some fuel down the carb primaries and crank.. does it fire......

Thanks,

I know I have fuel. I'll try the coil wire tomorrow. Can I crank this with the ignition key in "run" position and use my remote starter cable switch or do I need to physically turn the key to start position?

Turn the key on... use your remote to crank. Hell it might fire then and you'll know your "crank" position on your ignition switch is dead.. or the ballast.... if you're still running one!

Checked coil wire and it did show spark. Do you have a recommendation for the next steps? I'll check the cap. I do not have spark at the plugs.

If you have spark then your ignition system is working.. no spark at plugs, bad rotor?!

Auto Transport Service
Back