• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

'71 440 Magnum stock carb

Skytrooper

1SG (Ret.)
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
7:29 AM
Reaction score
What was the stock carb for a '71 440 Magnum ? Was it a Carter ? I am just curious before I go down the rabbit hole and install the Holley Double pumper.

1971 Carter AVS - 440 Motor

The 4966 was used on the 440 NON HP Motor - Its rated at 630cfm - Small primary throttle plates

The 4967 (Manual Trans) was used on the 440 Magnum HP Motor - Its rated at 750cfm

The 4968 (Auto Trans) was used on the 440 Magnum HP Motor - Its rated at 750cfm

Wow ! Thanks for the quick replys. Now it is up to me to figure if I have an HP or NON-HP engine, which should be so simple that I do not know why I haven't checked it yet.

Thanks again !

It's an RT must be an HP. Pretty sure it's the original motor. Did you ever check the numbers?

I have not yet checked the numbers, other than to ensure it was a RB 440

OK, just from the top plate near dizzy. It is a 1971 "G 440 HP". Manufacture date 12/7 which matches the VIN manufacture date. If it wasn't for this lung infection, I would have jacked it up and confirmed all the numbers, but that will just have to wait a little longer.
So, it looks like the Carter AVS 4968 (440 HP A/T) is what was originally on the car.

Auto Transport Service
Back