• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

71/72 B body 9.25 rear axle.

Robert Schaad

Local time
7:09 AM
Reaction score
I have a line on a 9.25 rear axle, drum to drum that will fit a 71/72 B BODY with 390 Posi, anyone know what this axle is worth?

I see how this works!
Ok you post what you think it's worth.
Then we can agree with you.

A simple answer is what I need, not some quite reply. The guy wants $1500 for the complete Axle drum to drum. I think that is a good price buy I do not know. I have an 8.25 in my car now with a bent axle shaft and that axle shaft will cost some $250 or more for JUST the axle shaft. So when you say 538 for a complete high performance posi rear end, I think you are being funny.

I was having problems finding axle to fit 72 Satellite to replace 8 1/4. Was considering getting S-60 from DR Diff for about $2500 as I had been looking for a couple of years. Almost bought a 71 charger for the rear end, but did not have a place to store it (should have as today's prices would have made it worth it). Eventually found 8 3/4 for station wagon that would fit for 500 and a center section with sure grip for 650.

So $1500 is not unreasonable, and it is heavier duty than the 8 1/4 and will bolt right in. It's kind of rare and I'm not sure of aftermarket ring/pinion availability. Plus anyone looking under your car will have to ask what it is as I've only seen one in all my years.

Also look into getting a 8 3/4 for 1968-70 B-Body and use DR Diff spring relocation kit to adapt to your 71. I got the kit then found the station wagon rear that would not need spring perches relocated.

The price is ALWAYS in the eye of the buyer. A 9 1/4 is a very stout rear axle. A drum to drum in good shape with the 3.90 limited slip, is probably worth a fair amount if it's an auto version, not truck. The $ 1,500 seems a bit high, but...

I could be wrong. I have never seen a 9 1/4 in anything till 74, maybe a few 73s?. By then it would have insulators on the spring mount. I don't think a swap in a 72 is going to be a direct fit.... Sure... it could be done, possibly a spring perch adaper may be available?. A 71- 72 heavy duty rear should be a dana 60. 9 1/4 rear end came in later cars... 74-79?

I would think a used 8 1/4 would be easy to find. Post in the wanted section on the forum for a axle. Dont be surprised if a rear end swap requires a different length driveshaft.
9 1/4 is ok but it uses c clips, Imho it's no 8 3/4 and worth far less then a 8 3/4. If it was in a car a 9 1/4 3.90s are likely aftermarket and who knows if someone knew what they were doing? 1500 is wayyyy high, better off w a 8 3/4.

Last edited:
I could be wrong. I have never seen a 9 1/4 in anything till 74, maybe a few 73s?. By then it would have insulators on the spring mount. I don't think a swap in a 72 is going to be a direct fit.... Sure... it could be done, possibly a spring perch adaper may be available?. A 71- 72 heavy duty rear should be a dana 60. 9 1/4 rear end came in later cars... 74-79?

I would think a used 8 1/4 would be easy to find. Post in the wanted section on the forum for a axle. Dont be surprised if a rear end swap requires a different length driveshaft.
9 1/4 is ok but it uses c clips, Imho it's no 8 3/4 and worth far less then a 8 3/4. If it was in a car a 9 1/4 3.90s are likely aftermarket and who know if someone knew what they were doing? 1500 is wayyyy high, better off w a 8 3/4.
Thanks for the info. The reason I have a line on it is I just helped my friend remove it from his 72 Roadrunner. It has been in there for some 4 or more years. He had P295 tires on 15x8 rims. Just seeing if the cost is worth it.

$1500 is a fair price, a Dana runs around twice that but a Dana has a lot more options. Id buy an S60 for around $2500 and get 3.55s personally if I felt I needed that strength. Personally I prefer an 8.75 in most if not all my cars (might go with a S60 in my 70 Hemi RR).

It helps to know who has it and it's history. That adds value. It's to bad they went with the c clip in its design on the 9 1/4 or more of us would be using it in performance applications. It's not kool to lose a axle. You can tell looking at the spring perches what was done to make it fit in a 72. It originally would have had a larger hole in the perch. I am pretty sure you will have to shorten your drive shaft going from a 8 1/4 to a 9 1/4. But I am not 100% sure, i have only done the dana 60 and 8 3/4 swap. We have several 8 1/4 axles around and a 9 1/4 in a 79 300.

Last edited:
$1500 is a fair price, a Dana runs around twice that but a Dana has a lot more options. Id buy an S60 for around $2500 and get 3.55s personally if I felt I needed that strength. Personally I prefer an 8.75 in most if not all my cars (might go with a S60 in my 70 Hemi RR).
I haven’t priced an S60 in a couple of years but… that was the price then. I bet they are closer to or even over $3k now.

I haven’t priced an S60 in a couple of years but… that was the price then. I bet they are closer to or even over $3k now.
Just looked at they are $2395 to about $2600 depending on configuration straight from Strange, of course there is probably another $300-500 of shipping in there. I have one here that I put into a 70 RR that I am building for a friend in AUS and I think he was right at $2800 delivered. IMO thats a decent price if you want a Dana especially since you can get whatever gears you want and everything is brand new.

I found my problem with my axle. 8.25 with 2:71 gears. The passinger side Axle is slightly Bent. I need one if anyone know where to find one. OR can it be fixed?

Post in the WTB section that you need a axle. Those 8 1/4 rearends were in a LOT of cars.

The stories about C clip axles being troublesome do not apply to the Chrysler built axles. Their design is better and safer than the GM axles.
The 9 1/4" axle was introduced first in the Imperial and C body lines in the late 60s. It is a durable unit.
It is overkill for a small block car like the OP has. A replacement axle shaft for the existing 8 1/4" axle should be available from Dr Diff.

** Congratulations on your WIN at the car show on Saturday.**

I found my problem with my axle. 8.25 with 2:71 gears. The passinger side Axle is slightly Bent. I need one if anyone know where to find one. OR can it be fixed?

I bought skookum 8-1/4 axles from Randy's Ring and Pinion several years ago. Try there.

The stories about C clip axles being troublesome do not apply to the Chrysler built axles. Their design is better and safer than the GM axles.
The 9 1/4" axle was introduced first in the Imperial and C body lines in the late 60s. It is a durable unit.
It is overkill for a small block car like the OP has. A replacement axle shaft for the existing 8 1/4" axle should be available from Dr Diff.

** Congratulations on your WIN at the car show on Saturday.**

Good point...but If you brake an axle on a c clip rear the wheel and axle comes out because there is nothing holding the axle and tire from coming out. NHRA bans them 10.99 and quicker and requires C clip elimators. This obviously isn't a race car, but a axle held in out by the wheel is Superior (such as the 8 3/4 or dana 60). The only C clip rear I would be interesting in running is one with disc brakes, because the caliper helps hold the wheel in place if an axle brakes.

Auto Transport Service
Back