• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

71 72 charger differences frm 73 74 help

Sir Dodgealot

Local time
10:06 AM
Reaction score
Hey yall i need sum schooling plz. Wut all changed on chargers frm 71 72 models to 73 74? I kno tha grille did. Any response appreciated. Thanks

Well, I used to own a '71 Charger and a "73 Charger, but that was a while ago. Anyway, here is what I can think of.

1. Flat hood near windshield had a different number of "cowl slots" cut into it
2. Tail lights
3. Rear window design. My '71 looked almost like a triangle & the '73 looked more "squarish"
4. I can't remember, but I'm pretty sure the interior was totally different, interchangeable, but different
5. 71 could still get the Hemi & 440 six pack. There may have been a few early year '72 Chargers with these, but the 440 4-barrel became the top option in '72. I'm not sure, but I think '73 was the last year for the 440-4bbl. with the top option in '74 being a 400-4bbl.
6. '72 was the last year for a RamCharger hood
7. the trunk lids are a little different (I think). Seems like the '73 would curl up just a touch at the back, but that could be my poor memory.
8. I don't believe the Go-Wing was available after '72
9. R/T option ended in '71 I believe (and so did the Super Bee)
10. Seems like hideaway headlights ended somewhere in those years ('72 last year?)
11. half-vinyl roof became available in '72 or '73 (SE models I think)
I'm sure there's more, but that was many years ago. I still have the original owner's manual from my '71. I was always amazed at how many engines you could get in a '71 Charger. 225 6-cyl, 318, 340, 383-2bbl, 383-4bbl, 440-4bbl, 440 six pack or Hemi. You sure don't get that many choices today!

Fenders and quarters. 73-4 have a 1.25" larger wheel well openings
Doors. Different body lines.
Deck lid is the same except 73-4 had a larger hole for the lock cylinder.
Rear windows are the same but 71-2 had stainless trim and 73-4 had aluminum.
Front and rear valances are different. Brackets and mounting points.
Dash frames are different between 71-2 and 73-4 for the glove box door stop.
74 had one year only trunk pan, fuel tank and tank straps..
74 had one year only firewall. Larger opening for the steering column.
73 and 74 each had one year only steering columns. 71 and 72 are the same.
71-2 and 73-4 outside door handle are different internally.
74 had one year only seat belts.
71-2 has the same rear interior side panels with the padded arm rest. 73 had hard plastic arm rest along with 74 but 74 had two piece panel for the different seat belts.
74 had different gauge cluster bezel with lights for the H/L and wiper switches.
71-2-3 and 4 all have one year only hoods with different cowl vents.
71-2 and 73-4 had different bumpers and mounts.
73-4 have different K-frames and suspension. Isolation setup.
73-4 have different front disc brakes.
73-4 have different front frames, T-bar cross member, inner fender well and cowl support.
73-4 have spool type motor mounts. 71-2 have biscuit type.
74 has seat belt interlock system.

I know there more but that's just off the top of my head.

ISO suspension was the biggest difference started in 73. K member is totally different.

NONE of the body panels are the same between 71/72 and 73/74 except roof.

71 and 72 had lots of 1 year only panels as well.

Hoods are all 1 year only IIRC.

This is all documented elsewhere on the site.

- - - Updated - - -

Must have been typing at the same time.

You were more thorough.

...and I just put a 73 front valence on my 72.

Inner mounts work, valence to fender bolts work. Middle mounts do not, but you can't really tell they're not attached there.

I've put a '73 rear valance on my '71. Fit perfectly. The difference is the '73/'74 has slots for bumper guards.

I've put a '73 rear valance on my '71. Fit perfectly. The difference is the '73/'74 has slots for bumper guards.
Guess I was just thinking of the front valance having different brackets.
So what did you do with the big slots for the guards?

also the rear quarter extensions are different from 71 2 to 3 and 4.

Bumper brackets front and rear are different 71-2 to 73-4.
Also as another member here has found, the grille mounting (non hideaway) mounting brackets are different 71, 72, 73-4.
Steering was covered a bit, but 73 had the goofy biscuit/rag joint (3575303) one year only.
Lots of physical differences, lights, side markers, 74 had different steering wheels.
Wiring different every year. Interior trim.
they made the 73-4 lean more luxury/softer ride than performance as they knew the engine HP's were decreasing dramatically.
But this covers a lot.

I'd like to jump in here with a similar question/need for help. Purchased a 74 Charger coupe. It's a Frankenstein as it has what I believe to be a 440 magnum 71 engine, and the body looks like it has 72 rallye doors, and the hood looks like a buldge and has a ram charger scoop. My questions are: what year(s) were the rallye shark gill doors offered? What year and models were the buldge hood and ram charger scoop offered, AND was it possible to get all these features in one model: door gills, buldge hood and ram charger scoop? It looks like the ram charger scoop may have been "cut into" the buldge hood -- but everything appears to be there, right down to the switch in the interior. Just trying to figure out what I have.

The Rallye doors were 72 only. Bulge hood was available all 4 years but each year has different cowl vents. Ramcharger hood was 71-2 only. 72 Rallye would be the only year with the doors and Ramcharger hood together.

Attachments

• 20141121_145656.jpg
    20141121_145656.jpg
    114.3 KB · Views: 313
Many people can see the cars side by side and not realize the bumper gasket on the 73+ is not there on the 72-.

I parked next a friend at Moparfest with his 71 and my 73. And we agreed, same over all shape BUT the lines on the 73 are more distinct.

Whoever disagreed with my post on the 71-2 quarter extensions being different than the 73 and 4 needs to do this homework. Try bolting a 74 charger extension on a 72 and report back

Of course doesn't match although fits! but is about the outer curvature due the modified body line.

Quarter extensions are same height and width, just a diff curvature shape.

Whoever disagreed with my post on the 71-2 quarter extensions being different than the 73 and 4 needs to do this homework. Try bolting a 74 charger extension on a 72 and report back
I'm the one who disagreed, and I apologize. I misread your post, and thought you were talking about the trunk floor extentions that attach to the bottom of the quarter. You are right about the 71-2 quarter end cap extensions being different than the 73-4 ones.

However a 71 decklid will fit a 73 Charger and the lines will match, as long as the said 73 has the correct quarter extensions. And vice versa.

And even with the "incorrect" quarter extensions. The deck lid has nothing to do with quarter extensions itself

Auto Transport Service
Back