• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

71-74 B-Body Dash, glovebox, steering column re-paint, anyone done it in black?

idrivemopar

Local time
7:46 AM
Reaction score
On my 73 Roadrunner, the original black on my dash, glovebox, steering column was like a flat satin, not glossy at all, but not like a flat where you couldnt clean it with out noticing that part of it was cleaned, and i would like to replicate this with a respray. My first attempt came out too similar to 20% gloss, which is too much sheen on it.

Has anyone resprayed theirs to match original texture, and sheen, and if so what did you use?

it is a laquer paint and
the color is known as jewelers black
Instrument Specialties carrys the original stuff and its pricey
others have had sucess with using a gloss with a flattener
and there is also spray bomb that some say is sort of close
offhand,
i don't recall which one

Yes, very tough to match.

There was a post somewhere that listed additive part numbers and percentages.

IIRC, there were about 5 different combinations.

- - - Updated - - -

Please let us know how you make out.

I have to do it in bronze-gold.

i use plasti kote flat black it is code t2 i painted my while dash frame and steering column with it. the match was so good i left my ashtray untouched and no one has been able to tell it is unpainted! the trick is to mist the paint on.

I use SEM Trim Black for steering columns and interior trim. In fact I am going to paint all of my dash metal and interior trim with this paint. It has a very slight sheen with a very light texture. It looks great on columns and should look perfect on my interior. It is a Spray bomb.

Auto Transport Service
Back