• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

71-74 charger cowl vs E body

YY1

Local time
9:26 AM
Reaction score
How similar are the cowl areas between 71-74 Charger/RR and 70-74 Challenger/Cuda? I see AMD has pretty much the whole thing for E bodies (cowl, firewall, door posts), and it looks real similar. Any one ever tried to use one or measure them?

In theory, the E and B-body units should be the same...however, at Carlisle, I asked the folks at AMD why they were different, but no one could tell me.

So, I looked at a '71 E-body and a '71 B-body and compared them...the difference is right behind the hood hinges, where the fenders mount to the upper cowl. The E-bodies are 'flat', where-as the B-bodies are 'notched' or 'indented'.

Not really sure why, unless it is for clearance on the hood hinges. I'll see if I can get a couple of pictures to compare side-by-side.

Here is the E-body:

mopp_0803_10_z+1971_dodge_challenger_convertible+hood.jpg

Here is the B-body:

DSC00454r.jpg

Looks like maybe clearance for the hinge.

I took the large pics from the AMD site and held them up in front of my Charger.
There are a few more differences- the area that is covered by the plastic grilles is a slightly different shape, and what could be most important- it looks like the B body is taller. I wonder if the windshield channel is the same. That's what I need most.

Wonder what "clip on" and "screw on" mean.

The fire wall panel, on the oither hand, looks identical.

Didn't get to look at the door supports.

Looks like maybe clearance for the hinge.

I took the large pics from the AMD site and held them up in front of my Charger.
There are a few more differences- the area that is covered by the plastic grilles is a slightly different shape, and what could be most important- it looks like the B body is taller. I wonder if the windshield channel is the same. That's what I need most.

Wonder what "clip on" and "screw on" mean.

The fire wall panel, on the oither hand, looks identical.

Didn't get to look at the door supports.
The clip-on and screw-on difference is just that...some were screwed in, some used plastic clips.

My old understanding was that the E and B-bodies were the same from the core support back to the rear edge of the front-floorpan, and up the A-pillar to the base of the windshield.

I guess their were minor 'adjustments' in some models.

And I agree 100% that the lower cowl/firewall is the same for both bodies.

Clip or screw what on? Mine looks welded.

Auto Transport Service
Back