• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

71-74 Dodge reproductions hoods...how long you think?

carcrazyguy

Local time
6:58 AM
Reaction score
Just curious if anyone has heard any rumors about 71-74 powerbulge or ramcharger hoods being reproduced? Being they already make 70 RoadRunner hoods (which is a 1 year only fit). You would think the 71-74 hood would be a good seller considering how many different year cars/models it would fit? I know there are differences in each year with the various cowl vents or no cowl vents. However, I would guess most "reproduction" buyers could probably live with whatever vent design they decided to bring out.

How long do you think it will be before we are likely to see a reproduction 71-74 ramcharger or powerbulge hood brought to the market? If ever?

I think in a few years as more and more of these are being restored that they will have more reproduction parts, Not just hoods but like the front and back valance panels.. As these cars get older and still can be bought at usually a fair price the demand for parts will go up. Time will tell but there is more and more being put back on the road because of the high prices of the older cars, these to will get older and more will be restoring them, and more respecting them as they should be.. Kind of a hard one to figure but i remember a time where some parts for the older cars couldn't be found, I listened to a show "American Muscle car" and one of the guys from Year One was on there introducing new parts becoming available for different cars that before weren't, I cant think of his name but he knows his stuff with Mopars, thats been awhile now but maybe someday these cars will have the same introduction of new parts being built.

I knew they had the front and rear valances for the 71-74 Dodge B-body. I bought both for my car. Considering they already offer
68-69 Plymouth Road Runner/GTXHood
70 Plymouth Road Runner Hood -Standard
70 Plymouth Road Runner Hood - Airgrabber
70-74 Barracuda Shaker Hood
68-69 Dodge Dart GTS Hood
70-74 Dodge Challenger R/T
70-74 Challenger Shaker Hood
68-69 Dodge Charger Hood

You would think the 71-74 Charger hoods would be at least "in the plans" for the not so distant future. They are one of the last "big demand" hood options left with the exception of the 70 Super Bee hood (1 year only), and 73-74 Road Runner hoods.

It would be nice to see a N96 and Bulge hoods reproduced.

They do make a fiberglass bulge.. pricy! Don't look to inviting.

"71-74 Power Bulge Bolt On Hood. Price= 495.00 Weight=25 Ship"

http://www.artfiberglass.com/auto/6874charger.html

powerbulge.jpg

I have a factory bulge hood, but I sure would like a N96 hood but they are pricey.

They do make a fiberglass bulge.. pricy! Don't look to inviting.

"71-74 Power Bulge Bolt On Hood. Price= 495.00 Weight=25 Ship"

That hood is not so bad, but the worst part of most of the fiberglass hoods that I have seen for the 71-74 Chargers. The underside looks horrible. Completely raw finish. Probably bad enough most would not even consider popping the hood at a cruise night.

Doubtful the 73/74 hoods will ever be made, it took for ever for AMD just to make a quarter patch panel, because they were going to do full quarters but didnt think they could recovery their investment. Plus there are still 73/74 rr hoods out in the wild, i actually have a real nice 74 in my basement, but nobody interested in it.

That hood is not so bad, but the worst part of most of the fiberglass hoods that I have seen for the 71-74 Chargers. The underside looks horrible. Completely raw finish. Probably bad enough most would not even consider popping the hood at a cruise night.

Ive never seen the underneath in person but i have to say the few i have seen in pictures did look ragged.. At the same time i remember one that looked good as a metal one and as with everything else, ingenuity plays a good part when someone gets there head set on something looking good.

- - - Updated - - -

Doubtful the 73/74 hoods will ever be made, it took for ever for AMD just to make a quarter patch panel, because they were going to do full quarters but didnt think they could recovery their investment. Plus there are still 73/74 rr hoods out in the wild, i actually have a real nice 74 in my basement, but nobody interested in it.

You may be very well right idrivemopar but i hope your wrong.. Seems ive seen a lot of requests for someone looking for these hoods.. Im surprised one member here didn't consider the one you have unless he never seen it, shipping costs so much that it makes it tuff on some who may want one and find it but just to dang far away..

Update.

There are 5 sources that make fiberglass power bulge hoods. Not sure of the quality, but at least there not $2000 rusty ones. True, most all fiberglass parts need at least some work...

Anyone have one of these hoods?

One on eBay.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mopar-1971-...759&pid=100011&prg=1005&rk=1&sd=350788758697&

AAR now makes them.
https://www.aarqualityfiberglass.com/cart/index.php?cPath=188_40

Show Cars
http://www.showcars-bodyparts.com/charger.html

Art fiberglass
http://www.artfiberglass.com/auto/6874charger.html

VFN
http://www.vfnfiberglass.com/6874charger.htm

Last edited:
I emailed AMD a while back. I got a reply saying that they had no plans in the near future to reproduce the hoods, which sux cause I live a county over from them.

Did not know AAR had one. Thanks for that. Looks like it's VERY new, as the catalog add date is March of this year.

I heard rumors AAR was bought/sold.

Last time I spoke to them, the said they were working on 73/74 RR hoods, but that may have been prior to the alleged buyout.

The seem to make a very good quality product!!

- - - Updated - - -

...however, the pricing is almost that of a good condition OEM steel part, especially if you have to pay for shipping!

This has been an ongoing discussion since the early 1980s, and I think the answer will be no. It all comes down to numbers. Going back to the 1970 birds you mention, minus the Superbirds, there were about 49,232 Road Runners made in 1970. In 1973 there were only 15,929, and they didn't even break the 10,000 mark in 1974. So even though 1970 was a one-year only design, they sold twice as many of them as the 73-74 cars combined. You couple lower production numbers, with lower interest from collectors, and there's not enough money to be made by making reproduction parts for these cars.

I wonder how the Satellite sales numbers stack up?

1973 was a particularly good year for Mopar in general.

Was high sales year for Charger.

I always see a lot more 73's compared to anything else.

Dusters Darts, Chargers, Furys, Newports, etc...

Satellite coupes weren't much better. They sold 13,750 in 1973 and 10,634 in 1974.

You're right about how many 73/74 cars you see coming up for sale, but I think that's part of the problem. Most AMD hoods are in the $600-$700 price range, and that's for a flat hood. Adding just an air grabber opening to a 70 hood adds about $100 to the price, so I'm guessing they would have to sell a complex piece like a 73-74 hood for $800-$900 easily. There's a lot of 73-74 hoods for sale out there, and every time another 73-74 car gets parted out due to severe lower body rust, the hood is usually in great shape and gets sold. The latest prices I've seen for these hoods is $250 to $600, so why would AMD want to invest in making a piece that they would need to sell for $800-$900 when good original hoods are selling for half that price?

$250 for a Charger flat hood?

Uh $50 around here.

I just sold a nice one for $100 and was happy about it.

There's been one on ebay for $250 for a couple of years. Same guy that wants $400 for the decklid.

Honestly, would be MORE INTERESTING get roof skins made... all 71/74 2 doors B bodies shares the same pieze, and everyone with vinyl roof usually require a roof replacement.

if suposselly there is not a market to 4 years of cars productions in both, Dodge and Plymouth together, brands, sharing same piece, I hardly doubt any hood will be made

I also think fenders would sell.

It's INSANELY difficult to find 71-74 fenders that aren't totally gone in the dog leg and rusting through from underneath in the hard to fix areas near the top front.

Even if they only made the 71 fenders, I bet every 72-74 owner would buy them and weld in the marker light areas.

- - - Updated - - -

I'd buy a roof skin, too.

$250 for a Charger flat hood?

Uh $50 around here.

I just sold a nice one for $100 and was happy about it.

There's been one on ebay for $250 for a couple of years. Same guy that wants $400 for the decklid.

i sold my almost perfect flat hood for $25 this summer and paid $800 for a very nice buldge hood. i talk to stephens performance and he said there is a hood being considered but not fenders.

- - - Updated - - -

I also think fenders would sell.

It's INSANELY difficult to find 71-74 fenders that aren't totally gone in the dog leg and rusting through from underneath in the hard to fix areas near the top front.

Even if they only made the 71 fenders, I bet every 72-74 owner would buy them and weld in the marker light areas.

- - - Updated - - -

I'd buy a roof skin, too.

i spent 4 months looking at ebay, craigslist everyday then going to every carshow asking everyone i met looking at web searches and i found several rusted out fenders that were worse than mine for about $400 to $800. also lots of empty promises on actual fenders. if i had a decent way to transport i fount parts cars that would have made more sense to buy instead of just fenders. i did finally find some on this forum. thanks

Last edited:
Auto Transport Service
Back