• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

71+ B-body AC dash vent mystery (to me)

It’s just me

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
9:02 AM
Reaction score
So I have this NOS set of dash vents for a 71 up B-body, part no. 3502005. What do they belong to being AC and black instead of wood grain? Are there Rally or standard gauge bezels that would match them? Thanks for the help.

CDC135A8-F872-4F80-995D-2FC2B73D4624.jpeg

So you had a base with AC? Were the gauges still wood grain? That’s what I’m really trying to figure out.

WL and RL base line cars had the black insert. WM, RM and up got the wood grain. Same with gauge cluster and they were standard, not Rallye.

They are black as stated.

20170225_195932.jpg

So you had a base with AC? Were the gauges still wood grain? That’s what I’m really trying to figure out.
I had a base coupe with a bench seat. It had been optioned with a 318, column-shift auto, AM radio (I assume that was an option), and AC. The gauge cluster definitely was not woodgrain.

Agree RL and WL cars with AC (like my 73 satellite) got that vent panel, and a black and silver cluster panel.

No wood grain.

I wanted the "Satellite" emblem, so I'm changing mine out.

I find it interesting that the black vent panel has a raised center.

Why in the world would they spend the money to engineer that?
If it were me, I'd have simply used a RH part (before the emblem hols were drilled) and painted it black.

I just got a good used wood grain panel for my 72 RR GTX. The one in the car had been painted silver and the correct one for my car is wood with the silver border.
The part number is 3502008 for mine.

Does anyone know the trick to changing this thing?
I pulled the glove box and ashtray box last night. I can get the screws by the PS door and the middle but the two up against the vent Over the ash tray seem like they are going to be a challenge. The duct is right up against them and I can’t seem to figure out a trick to getting the duct out of the way enough to use a low profile right angle screw driver

I have that dewalt right angle but it’s too bulky.
I tried with a lower profile version the other night but only had 15 minutes and no success. I’ll try once more and if I have no luck I’m just going to pull the dash to do it right.

Auto Transport Service
Back