• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

71 Charger drivers side rear fender well plate

70chall440

Local time
11:45 AM
Reaction score
Does anyone have pictures of the plate that goes into the drivers side rear fender well to cover what I assume is part of the evap plumbing? I intend to make this plate or one to close the are off somewhat and would like to see what the original one looks like.

Here is a picture of the drivers side rear well, you can see where the paint changes color indicating that there was a plate there. Additionally there are brackets on each side which the plate would attach too which I was going to remove but it makes for huge fender well. I will attach a picture of the pass side as well for comparison.

69508649569__0D6505FC-DA92-4076-B6BD-D2C08343A12E.jpg

69508650446__FAC2C1AD-3CAD-4F96-BA06-3A077872E70D.jpg

I can get a underside pic of mine after work.

I am not big on the 71 or newer but what you call brackets are just the tabs they must use when jugging the structure together. I am pretty sure 70 and back has the same tabs.
The tabs clearly hold a plate/shield of some type. Me and a friend just rebuilt the entire back half of a 70 Roadrunner and it does not have those tabs, neither does my 70 Roadrunner or my 70 Challenger. I have never seen these before and again, assume that it must be for some type of evap hose routing or something.

Its not a big deal, I can make the plate to cover it but I was wanting to see what a stock one looks like so I could try and emulate that.

I found the shield in the FSM and it appears to be a 3 part deal. I will probably run a vent up there at some point.

69713849067__9F19CFFB-8A55-4BE5-95D8-ACD9A30C88D8.jpg

RenderedImage.JPG

If you already have purchased your fuel tank, or this is a O.E. certified type car, or a customer's car. My route will not work for you: I ditched all of that stuff and used a later production (after April 1972) fuel tank with 4 vent lines up front, with the small 1972 separator mounted at the shock cross member. I used the '71 fuel, return and vapor line. The vapor line was cut and bent for use on the small separator. Other end of vapor line runs up to the 3 nipple breather on the passenger side valve cover. Much simpler deal along with added benefit of not collecting dirt etc behind all of the shield/separator. Plus 5 miles of hoses.

Thanks however this is a complete custom build (5.7 Hemi, 5spd trans, etc.). I am going to be using a replacement SS fuel tank that I have to modify to accept a Fitech in-tank pump. I will probably run a vent line up into this cavity.

Here is a bunch for you both on and off. Held on by three sheet metal bolts, tab slips into the frame where the hoses pass through.

IMG_2890.jpg
IMG_2891.jpg
IMG_2892.jpg
IMG_2893.jpg
IMG_2896.jpg
IMG_2897.jpg
IMG_2898.jpg
IMG_2899.jpg
IMG_2900.jpg

Here is another view of both. Front one is pretty flat and the bottom one would be pretty easy to make to hide what you need.

IMG_2901.jpg

AMD reproduced those , both covers , up until a few years ago or longer

You might find them on da market

Auto Transport Service
Back