• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

71 Charger firewall

harrythehat58

Local time
11:56 AM
Reaction score
Is a 71 Charger firewall or cowl the same on all the 71 - 74 Chargers? For that matter on all the B-bodies from that era?
Thanks

E body is close but not exact. vent stack shape is one difference

Plymouth and Dodge B are the same

for B and E there are differences between AC and non AC

upload_2019-7-2_19-16-37.png

Edit: As per the Eastwood Company.
Edit: this ad is wrong! thanks Fly, Don, YY1.

Last edited:
the deal is
the e body firewall will overall fit into a 71 b
the 71b heater box will not fit the e firewall
you can either use the e heater box in it or use some mad skills and modify
they are not the same thing and
anyone listing it as the same thing is false advertising

Agree, the Eastwood posting is bunk! I checked Classic Industries and AMD and they list a E body firewall but NO B-body.
Thank for the info Fly....you rock dude....lol.

I have a 71 B project in the herd that needs a firewall and cowl top
I already have a nice cowl top and still need the firewall.
If I don't find one by the time I get around to the car
modifying a e firewall is in my future as a last resort.

My 72 Charger with air. I patched a couple spots on this one.
upload_2019-7-2_21-2-43.png

upload_2019-7-2_21-4-2.png

70 E body with air off the net....for comparison....the lower looks close from this angle.
I thought a member here had done this swap, cant find the thread now. C.R.S

I personally have done it and will explain how my expierience went...
My car is a 71 Plymouth Satellite w/AC.
The firewall is a Goodmark 71-4 E-body AC firewall which I had to slice into about a foot on each side to get the windshield channel back into where it needed to be. This slice was about 5 inches below the windshield channel & I had to weld in a few strips to close it up.
The upper cowl was a total mod...
I used a new Goodmark E-body cowl to replace most of the entire front section of my original, as well as about 7 or 8 pieces along the windshield channel. It was a lot of work but here are the results...
0703190044.jpg
0703190043a.jpg
0703190043.jpg

Nice work, thanks for posting.

Nice work, thanks for posting.
Thanks.
I wanted to point out that the firewall, though everything you see is identicle, the top where it rolls up along the sides is shorter on the E-body, because the windshield is slightly forward than the B-body... It is slightly different in the curve as well. Nothing patience and ambition cant overcome, but to say "an E-body firewall will work without mods(AC or non-AC)" would be FALSE.

I've heard of it being done ! I've not done it nor seen one in person .
It's nothing but metal it can be made to work.

Potently I will be parting out a 71 Charger SE later this year if your still looking for a firewall. Send PM

I have a 71 B project in the herd that needs a firewall and cowl top
I already have a nice cowl top and still need the firewall.
If I don't find one by the time I get around to the car
modifying a e firewall is in my future as a last resort.
Hey there Flypaper.
What did you ever come up with for a firewall option? I have a 72 that rotted the driver side of the firewall so total replacement is not needed but if I could find a repair panel to cut and splice that would be very nice.

Hey there Flypaper.
What did you ever come up with for a firewall option? I have a 72 that rotted the driver side of the firewall so total replacement is not needed but if I could find a repair panel to cut and splice that would be very nice.
was trying to sell a firewall for more than a year. Just took a deposit yesterday.

The 71-72 B body firewalls and cowls are all the same. Charger, Coronet 4 door, Satellite 2 or 4 door. 2 versions of the firewall though-non a/c and a/c.

The 73-74 B body firewall and cowls are almost the same and can be used, but they have some small differences such as extra tabs, and the heavier bracing in the cowl corners.

75-81 B and R body firewall and cowls are also an updated version of this and have many similarities. So a Cordoba or St Regis can supply some chunks if needed.

E body firewalls look the same from the engine bay, but because the cowl is lower, the firewall is also shorter.
Same reason that E bodies have very short seat tracks. In an E body, you sit closer to the floor, and the dash, cowl, hood line are all lower than a 71-74 B body. Hood hinges are also shorter on E bodies.

74 firewall is diff… steering column hole is diff on them than earliers. 74 column bracket setup comes from A body

Auto Transport Service
Back