• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

71 Charger - Replacing upper cowl panel

jbmcharger

Local time
11:16 PM
Reaction score
Does anyone know if the aftermarket panels are available for upper cowl of 71 dodge charger? I found a panel by ABS that is for the Challenger (B- Body) will this also work for the 71 charger?
Thanks to all for any advice -
:jerk:

A Challenger is an E-body which is completely different from a B-body. The firewall is the same on 70-74 E-Bodies and 71-72 B-bodies from the upper seam down. The outer upper cowl panel itself is different from B to E-bodies. The front floors, front rails, inner fenders and cowl support are the same from E-bodies to 71-72 B-Bodies.

Joe

I was looking at another thread today, and that person replaced the entire cowl with the e-body pieces. I don't know what trouble this may cause down the road as the car was not shown finished, but everything did mate up.

I know the outer upper cowl section is different on an E-Body because my brother has a 73 Challenger and nothing on the upper cowl panel is the same as my 72 RR. The lower cowl section might work but I am not sure.

Joe

Thanks everyone for the comments. AMD says they have a panel for a 70-74 E-body. I am going to give them a call on Monday and find out what is available for B-body.

I carry nice originals for 71-4B. AMD doesn't make them. E-body is different.

Attachments

• 71-4B cowls (1).jpg
    71-4B cowls (1).jpg
    132.2 KB · Views: 1,053
Buy one from Moparmarks. I purchased cowl and firewall from him for my 74 Charger. Fit like a glove. He does a great job surgically removing the used parts.

Buy one from Moparmarks. I purchased cowl and firewall from him for my 74 Charger. Fit like a glove. He does a great job surgically removing the used parts.

That is true. He’s also a good guy to deal with bought a fuel tank for my 72 coronet wagon.

wondering what could be the difference between E and B body cowl panels

- - - Updated - - -

BTW 74 Bs got a VERY SMALL DIFFERENCE with earliers ;) LOL

Look at the area where the hinge folds down.

There is a recess on the B body panel that is not there on the E version.

Does this affect the hood closure?

The obvious difference is the square versus D shaped large hole on the top, but that looks to be only cosmetic.

One other thing that may be considered...
I believe there are some small variations from year to year.
They may or may not matter...depending on how **** a person is.

For example....A few years back, I gave an ungrateful SOB a very nice rust free 71 Charger upper cowl...only to have them gripe at me a year later that it wasn't for a 71. Turns out that there were 2 styles in 71. One with snap in cowl screens, one with cowl screens held in with screws.
In hindsight, I should have charged them $400

The 71 charger upper cowl for the snap on screen .
Let me know if anyone has one

Auto Transport Service
Back