• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

71 Charger trunk floor replacement

PeteyDaMan

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
5:04 AM
Reaction score
I need to replace my trunk floor. I bought a full panel from AMD. The new piece looks like it needs to go under these braces for the bumpers. Has anyone replaced their floor without removing them or should I just go ahead and try to cut all the spot welds and take them out?

charger2.jpg charger1.jpg View attachment 905634 View attachment 905635

I need to replace my trunk floor. I bought a full panel from AMD. The new piece looks like it needs to go under these braces for the bumpers. Has anyone replaced their floor without removing them or should I just go ahead and try to cut all the spot welds and take them out?

View attachment 905630 View attachment 905631
View attachment 905634 View attachment 905635

I would remove them for a much easier installation, and much better looking install. Just get some 80 grit sandpaper, and start looking for the the spot welds. Most are on the rearward side (bumper side). I have removed these brace/brackets before.. and can say the easiest way to remove the welds on the trunk floor, is use a small hand held cut off saw, air powered, and I used a 3" 3M 1/32" thin wheel, to grind the welds, staying as close to the trunk floor, so to minimize cutting into the brace. I have done this more than a few times, so don't be in a huge hurry, because they will not fall out in 5 or 10 minutes. There are possible spot welds on the inside trunk floor also. Good luck with your project. @Dodge33

I recently had to do some repair work and the Blair spot weld cutter is excellent.

Thanks for the suggestions. I've been using the Blair spot weld cutter with very good results. Where I'm stuck now is the back lip of the trunk pan where it meets the tail panel. There isn't enough room to get the cutter straight up and down. The spot welds are too close to the tail panel. I need to find an extension that's at least 10" so the drill can clear the tail panel.
What has everyone done for this?

thanks

Thanks, ordered a seam buster. We'll see how it goes.

got one out using a combination of a cutoff wheel, air saw, spot weld cutter and seam buster.
Thanks for all the help.
Now, on to the other side!!!!

thumbnail_20200315_174338.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back