• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

71 Dodge Charger Rear Disc Brake Kit Question

Local time
7:09 AM
Reaction score
I doing a 71 Dodge Charger RESTO. I have front disc brakes standard and I am removing the rear brake shoe system and changing the rear brakes to a SSBC Performance Brake system Disc Brakes system. Do I need to change the master cylinder and power brake booster that came with the car? Does the Booster need to be changed?

Victor Dominato 519-981-9669 [email protected]

Well, technically, a restoration means to bring back to an original condition. They did not come with rear disc brakes so this is something else.
The brake booster and master cylinder can still be used if the rear caliper bore size isn't too big. I ran a 1975 Dart booster and iron 15/16" master cylinder for years in my car with 1.5" rear calipers.
Keep in mind that a 4 wheel disc system may need an adjustable proportioning valve or NO valve at all. I use a 4 wheel drum distribution block that has no proportioning.

Thank you Kern Dog for your advice. The Kit description is: Rear drm/dsc conv Mopar 8-3/4" & 9-3/4". I am thinking that a adjustable proportioning valve would be in order for this.

Auto Transport Service
Back