• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

'71 road runner fuel tank sending unit - where to buy?

road robert

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
7:32 AM
Reaction score
Hello gang, I've diagnosed my fuel sending unit as bad based on it always reads 84 ohms regardless of tank being empty or full and it leaks when I fill up. Which is the best replacement unit and where to purchase? I also need the ground strap and would like to buy the tool to remove/install the lock ring. Thanks!

road robert

Van's has what you need for about a third of Year One. I have used them for my A, B, and E-bodies, without any problem. Fuel sending units are very simple devices....

Put a new one in my runner now have bought a meter match so it will show the right amount of fuel in tank. Seems to be the new unit's just don't read right. Did not get it from van's maybe they work better.

Put a new one in my runner now have bought a meter match so it will show the right amount of fuel in tank. Seems to be the new unit's just don't read right. Did not get it from van's maybe they work better.
What's a meter match and where to get one?

Can order on line. Google it and they show how to set it up also. 69 dollars for it. But better than trying to find a sending unit that work's right. Simple to cut into the line coming from the sender in the kick panel. Have to get power to it. Maybe you have a spare plug on your under dash wiring. I do so going to use it and fuse it at the connection. Need's to be where you can get to it. Here a lot of guy's using it. www.technoversion.com

Last edited:
I used 2 of the van units
they worked fine for a while and then ground themselves out
We had to remove several times and bend the wire back away from grounding itself out
I finally got tired of it and bought a spectre unit
it works pretty well but has only been in the tank a couple of months now

That is a real pain in the butt to have thing's that don't work. Buying once is bad enough but twice is just not right. Sorry for your luck. Will post on the meter match once in the car.

Well meter match has come in now have to install it as per instructions. It say's to start with a full tank. So I guess that is why they want you to put it where it is easy to get too. Voltage set is also included. Due to alternator putting out higher voltage when car is running. Oh well will see. If any one else as installed one on their car chime in all help is appreciated. Blue.

Hello gang, I've diagnosed my fuel sending unit as bad based on it always reads 84 ohms regardless of tank being empty or full and it leaks when I fill up. Which is the best replacement unit and where to purchase? I also need the ground strap and would like to buy the tool to remove/install the lock ring. Thanks!

road robert
Just received one today from Mr. Moparts. Had the best price too. Cant get better then them.

Hey Team, wanted to follow up with the outcome of my purchase. I bought a sending unit on eBay (1971-72 Charger Coronet Roadrunner 5/16 Fuel Sending Unit. BF657 YEARONE) for $44.93 + tax = $47.74 total (free shipping) and it is Perfect! The problem with the old unit was a leaky brass float, but also out of car read E to 3/4. New one reads below E to above F so absolute full range! When it bobs around from 1/8 to E I still have a few gallons in the tank for "reserve", I am extremely happy with this Year One product!
https://www.ebay.com/itm/264117114855

*I did also buy a sending unit ground strap for $10.61 connects between sending unit line out and chassis fuel line but it is too short, turns out it is not needed either due to tank straps providing sufficient ground...disappointing.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/230843842227

Last edited:
They do sell the longer ground strap. After bed lining my fuel tank know that the straps did not give me a ground. So bought the strap and welded a ground wire to it also to tie back with the ground wire I ran through the car for a back up. Being an electrician just use to having a bonding wire in the system. LOL.

Can order on line. Google it and they show how to set it up also. 69 dollars for it. But better than trying to find a sending unit that work's right. Simple to cut into the line coming from the sender in the kick panel. Have to get power to it. Maybe you have a spare plug on your under dash wiring. I do so going to use it and fuse it at the connection. Need's to be where you can get to it. Here a lot of guy's using it. www.technoversion.com
Your link is bad.

https://www.technoversions.com/MeterMatch.html

Auto Transport Service
Back