• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

71 Roadrunner EXPERTS needed

tak419

Local time
5:23 AM
Reaction score
I've been dealing in the 71-72 Roadrunner since 1982 since my first 72. I've owned around 15, some with some very rare option and I consider myself to be very knowledgeable on the car. I have to ask a bumper question. Does the elestomeric bumper option have the option to have the rubber guards on the front and rear ? You all should know i'm talking of the small black guard in the front and the full length guard on the rear. Does anyone know of any cars that may have this option and is it legit ? I know there was a Twany Gold GTX at the Nats years ago that had the elestomeric bumpers with the guard but the back guard was a 3 piece. I don't know if the back had been cut up do to damage or homemade. I have pics of it. Experts let me know please. Also would there be a part number for the bumper ?

i believe that the rear guard is not with the rubber bumper option
and its a option on its own..
there were a couple of bumper guard strips
front and rear that were rare options that i have seen over the years.
post up the pic and lets see what it is..

Per all the salesman's guides, the black rubber bumper strips (M81 front , M83 rear, and M85 front&rear) were not available with the elastomeric bumper option (M73) and I have never seen an original car with both. I know the tawny gold GTX you're talking about and the 3 piece black bumper strip on the rear bumper is not a factory part.

Here's a photo of the factory rear bumper guard on my survivor roadrunner. Completely different shape than the bumper strips on the GY9 GTX

023.jpg

Here's a photo of the factory rear bumper guard on my survivor roadrunner. Completely different shape than the bumper strips on the GY9 GTX

View attachment 630174
So you know the GTX I'm speaking of. Yes the back guard is totally different, I just found a pic of it on the web, I figured the original guard was chipped up and someone sanded it till it had the rounder shape he has now. If I remember correctly the front bumper has the guard also or at least it used to, plus the"eyebrow".

This is Eric correct ? I didn't realize your car had the guard, does it have the front also ?
Yup, it's me. My car is optioned with both front and rear bumper guards. A fairly rare option especially on V code cars...and I have to say I think the cars look a lot better without them!

I’m not even sure that GY9 GTX is an original rubber bumper car

I’m not even sure that GY9 GTX is an original rubber bumper car
I don't think the front guard is too bad but not a fan of the back one. I wondered if the GTX was an original rubber bumper car. I do think that 3 piece back guard was like yours at one time. I looked at it good and it has black paint on it and one of them you could see sand scratches and looked like 3m bumper repair shrinkage. Either way...reason I asked is I have a lead on 71 bumpers, the don't have the guards but the holes are there and was told the front had holes on the top front also. I figured they were drilled but he said couple are oval. I know the guards and the Rubber bumper Applique(eyebrow) both have a couple oval holes. This is coming from a guy that knows nothing of cars. Don't want to ask for pics cause I don't want the guy to realize he has something decent lol. As of now they're just Roadrunner bumpers. Think someone may not be relaying the info properly.

I don't think the front guard is too bad but not a fan of the back one. I wondered if the GTX was an original rubber bumper car. I do think that 3 piece back guard was like yours at one time. I looked at it good and it has black paint on it and one of them you could see sand scratches and looked like 3m bumper repair shrinkage. Either way...reason I asked is I have a lead on 71 bumpers, the don't have the guards but the holes are there and was told the front had holes on the top front also. I figured they were drilled but he said couple are oval. I know the guards and the Rubber bumper Applique(eyebrow) both have a couple oval holes. This is coming from a guy that knows nothing of cars. Don't want to ask for pics cause I don't want the guy to realize he has something decent lol. As of now they're just Roadrunner bumpers. Think someone may not be relaying the info properly.

Here's the salesman's guide stating that they weren't available together. I've learned never to say never with mopars, but it would seem unlikely that the factory would build this type of non-available combination (that would required different metal stamping).
http://www.hamtramck-historical.com...lesmansPocketGuides/1971/71_Satellite0010.jpg

I guess I can see how that 3 piece rear strip could have started out as a factory piece...but I can't imagine why someone would have made it even more ugly that it started!

Mine for the front. A NOS piece at that

20180701_144440625.jpg

Same here, WileE. I didn't know it was or an option until mine had it originally

Definitely rare. Production numbers for 71 road runners:
M81 front bumper guard - 55
M83 rear bumper guard - 96
M85 front and rear bumper guards - 396

I seem to have owned more with them than without...both current cars have them, the blue one has front and rear and the butterscotch car has front.

2006_delaware_show_1.jpg
IMG_2536.jpg

Definitely rare. Production numbers for 71 road runners:
M81 front bumper guard - 55
M83 rear bumper guard - 96
M85 front and rear bumper guards - 396

I seem to have owned more with them than without...both current cars have them, the blue one has front and rear and the butterscotch car has front.

View attachment 630502View attachment 630503
Lol love the drip cloth. My drain plug has always dripped. The guards look good on the front I think.

Eric you going to the Nats ?

Auto Transport Service
Back