• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

'71 RR resto project

rrTor-Red

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
2:46 PM
Reaction score
Been wanting to do this for a while and after many who has asked to start one, I'll give it a whirl, so here it goes.
This is my '71 RR resto. My dad bought this car 32 years ago. He knew the original "Mom and dad" who inherited the car in the summer of '71. Their son bought it in '70, was in the Army, and was killed in Nam. "Mom and dad" drove it to church and the grocery store. The dad died in '83. The mom told my dad she was going to sell the car. At first, my dad dragged his feet about buying it, so she sold it to a different person. Then my dad kicked himself, found the guy, bought it from him in '85. In that time, the guy told us the strobe was coming off, and he took the remaining off, putting on the "Starsky and Hutch" strip on it.
icon_eek.gif
. The guy blew the original engine, but a 383 from '69 in it, and found out some other surprising stuff during the tear down. Anyway, this is how we got it. It ran like a rapped ape but needed help. I started to take it apart and now, I inherited it and its mine. I've put a lot of blood, sweat, and tears in it to get it to the stage it's to the present day.

Pix before (2).JPG Pix before.JPG

Getting it down and dirty, the car had VERY little rust on it. Behind the driver's side rear, a quarter size on the passenger door, and on the inner fender of the passenger firewall.

L R rust 2.JPG L R rust.JPG IMG_0413.JPG

Specifics: Car came with a 383 (NOM), power drums, power steering, A/C, hood mounted turn signals AND floor mounted cassette from factory

After I tore the car down, I put it on a rotisserie. Me and my friend made this rotisserie. His brother-in-law had the steel tubing and after a afternoon of cutting and welding, we came up with it. My friend and his brother-in-law has a '69 RR and '70 Cuda, respectfully. So, my car was the guinea pig with theirs to follow

20131109_152559.jpg 20131109_152610.jpg 20131109_155121.jpg 20131109_170720.jpg 20131109_170729.jpg

In the body shop it went. Prior to the body shop, we put torque boxes and sub frame connectors on it. Used "All metal" to fill in anything not covered by welding and to smooth out the transition to the body

20140111_130939.jpg

I worked on restoring the heater box. Here is some of the before.

$_57 (4).jpg $_57 (5).jpg $_57 (6).jpg $_57 (7) (1).jpg $_57 (7).jpg $_57 (8).jpg $_57 (9).jpg

OOOPs. Here's the heater box before

$_57 (4).jpg $_57 (5).jpg $_57 (6).jpg $_57 (7) (1).jpg $_57 (7).jpg $_57 (8).jpg $_57 (9).jpg

Here's some photos of it in the body shop

119.jpg 138.jpg

Some more and with paint. I put SS fuel and break lines on it, as seen in a couple of pictures. I didn't undercoat the bottom and maybe I might regret it but who knows

090.jpg 091.jpg 092.jpg 112.jpg 113.jpg 114.jpg 115.jpg 116.jpg 117.jpg 118.jpg

My car had undercoating on it prior to when my family obtained it. That might be the saving grace as far as rust issues

Might be going out of sequence here so bear with me. Here are some pictures of the car before I/we tore it all apart. Then I'll post some pictures of it after. The pictures are not in order but just what I took at the time. Again, the car was very solid for as old as it is. It was the saving grace for it

Cables- D.S front.JPG Cables-D.S rear.JPG D.S Rear looking FWD.JPG DS inner engine bay.JPG DS-Aft under carriage.JPG Em. Brake (3).JPG Em. Brake (4).JPG Engine bay (2).JPG

Here is the emergency brake after restoring it

20131231_001548.jpg 20131227_151326.jpg

Around the edge of the doors and on the center of the hump was colored black. So, I made sure my body guy repainted those areas black as well like it came from the factory. Yes, the car has bucket seats with a buddy seat. Seats are orange and black. The seats was recovered in the '80's using legendary seat covers. We had to send them our old ones because they didn't have a pattern. At the time, I don't have a picture of the seats because they're covered and have been that way for a LOOONNNGG time. Waiting to put those in when time comes

153.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back