• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

71 RR tire size??

68383GTS

Local time
6:55 PM
Reaction score
My 71 Road Runner has 15X7 or 15x8 Ralley wheels and 275x60 tires.I want to go with new Torque Thrust II wheels.What is the biggest tire wheel combo I can put on the rear without any rubbing issues? Is 295x15's possible?What size andbackspace do I need?

Thanks,Jim

this is from the roadrunnernest.com this is AZnicks 71' GTX

Re: Widest rear tire/wheel size?

Postby AZ-Nick on Tue Dec 08, 2009 1:36 pm
On my 71 GTX I have 295 x 50 x 15 on an 8" wheel with 4 1/2" BS and I think it fills the space just right.
I wish the tire was taller but you cant have it all....

A295.jpg

These are 295. 50. 15 on a set of 8" rally rims on my 62 Chevy.
If you want a bit taller, check out a set of 275.60.15. They look good on a set of 15x8 rims

62stepsidepassagerside.jpg

Anyone have an idea what length tips the bird in the first post has? They look like the perfect length to me.

Classic Industries sell repros in 12" and 14", and I need to make a decision quickly. Will be fitting these to a '72 Satellite. I read elsewhere that the 14" tips were Charger tips, can anyone confirm?

Thanks in advance!!

Is this deja vu, or have I lost whatever marbles I may have left ? Did I answer this already ? Long = Charger, short = RR/GTX.

- - - Updated - - -

Depending on backspace, the 295 is possible.

Yeah thanks Robby.

I posted here earlier and then realised I was asking an exhaust question in a wheel thread...dumb of me, so I started a new thread.

Not a complete waste though, this nice RR gets another day in the spotlight :).

You do have the title "Senior Member" on your profile ;)

Damn, I can't even see anymore,either. I thought this was a Hispanic forum, and they were caling me "Senor" !!! (Seriously, to the OP, in MY personal opinion you have the best styled car, in the best color, ever made ).

What size tire are you running on front of the 71?
Getting ready to do this on my 72 SSP

Auto Transport Service
Back