• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

71 Satellite 440 ignition problems

penglish56

Local time
6:23 AM
Reaction score
Hello everyone! I recently took over a project car from a friend of mine, and I've run into a problem I just can't seem to solve.

I was test driving it about a week ago when it died on me as I was driving, turning the key into the start position would have absolutely no effect, meaning no crank, spark, etc. I changed the ignition switch and had no change in behavior, the car still wouldn't crank or spark. I found out that one of the wires running from the starter relay near the battery was shot, so I changed that out and now it starts but only off of the starter motor. The moment I let the key return to the "run" position it dies. I've changed out the ballast resistor, and I've changed the wires running to it. I simply don't know where to go from here. Attached are a couple pictures of the starter relay I'm referring to. Any ideas?

20191023_110734.jpg

Hello everyone! I recently took over a project car from a friend of mine, and I've run into a problem I just can't seem to solve.

I was test driving it about a week ago when it died on me as I was driving, turning the key into the start position would have absolutely no effect, meaning no crank, spark, etc. I changed the ignition switch and had no change in behavior, the car still wouldn't crank or spark. I found out that one of the wires running from the starter relay near the battery was shot, so I changed that out and now it starts but only off of the starter motor. The moment I let the key return to the "run" position it dies. I've changed out the ballast resistor, and I've changed the wires running to it. I simply don't know where to go from here. Attached are a couple pictures of the starter relay I'm referring to. Any ideas?

View attachment 856154

20191023_110740.jpg

Trouble shoot the path of 12V through the starter relay, ignition switch, neutral safety switch, etc. to the ignition and see if power makes it everywhere it's supposed to go, like the coil and points/spark box whichever. Thats a start. HTH, Lefty71

Auto Transport Service
Back