• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

71 steering column/coupler removal question

Midnight_Rider

Local time
5:01 PM
Reaction score
I have a 71 Satellite Custom I'm trying to pull the steering column from. I have everything ready to go except the shaft is still together with the steering box.

Never having messed with this on an old Mopar, I can't tell if the roll pin is still in there or not? It looks like there's a pin but I've done some moderate tapping without any movement.

Before I get aggressive with this thing, can someone verify? Just didn't know if the original was a solid pin & missing or if it's just a big hollow roll pin lodged in there real tight.

20180502_115944_cr1.jpg

its a hollow pin shoved in there tight
beat it out with a pin punch

I did mine on my 66 Coronet, and I couldn't believe how hard I had to beat that pin. I finally gave up on the hammer and punch and got out the air hammer with punch attachment. Still wasn't real easy but that's what it took to get it out.

I did mine on my 66 Coronet, and I couldn't believe how hard I had to beat that pin. I finally gave up on the hammer and punch and got out the air hammer with punch attachment. Still wasn't real easy but that's what it took to get it out.

Yeah, it's like the Immovable Object... still mocking me. Might try a little heat next time I go around with it.

Good advice applicable to my '72 Satellite Sebring Plus, but are the 1960's A Bodies set up the same way, real tight? I am thinking about removing the steering column on a '65 Barracuda. Thank you.

Use the correct size roll pin punch. if you use a standard punch that is a little smaller than the roll pin you will expand the roll pin and will make it a BOOGER to remove. POPS

Once you pull it apart, it would be a good idea to purchase a rebuild kit for the coupler, the new correct size roll pin will come with it. I would suggest the added retaining clip. Not only does it hold the cap on the coupler it also fit in those holes for the roll pin. Making it darn near impossible to have it fall out. I had never seen one fall out until I started looking at my coupler and realized it was gone???

Here’s the retainer.. just an example. Many people have them.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/291991220181

Good luck!

Oh I forgot to mention, if you do get the retainer, keep the directions and go by them! Not real easy to install, they’re tight!!

Use the correct size roll pin punch. if you use a standard punch that is a little smaller than the roll pin you will expand the roll pin and will make it a BOOGER to remove. POPS
Exactly this...be very sure that the punch you're using is the same size as the roll pin and not tapered.

I learned this in my driveway 30 years ago.

Back it up with a heavy hammer on other side so all the power goes into removing the pin

What these guys just said, you have to use the correct diameter punch. A little PB blaster, than a blast with a hammer should do. And, yes, get the rebuild kit with the retainer clip.

*Zombie thread bump alert*

Well, it only took me 2 years to get the column loose from the steering box. Actually it took less than 10 minutes, had a LOT of family stuff come up that sidetracked me that I won't bore anyone with, as that's not what we're here for. I just wanted to say, in case it helps the next guy or gal, that what worked for me was a little heat from a propane torch & a 1/4" pin punch from the underside.

20200623_124328_sm.jpg

Hi Midnight Rider,
Do you need any parts for the 71? I have a decent hood that I don't need. I could let it go for $285 plus shipping. Check out the pics and let me know. I also have a 6-pack sport Satellite scoop.
Thanks

IMG_3591.JPG IMG_3592.JPG IMG_3593.JPG IMG_3594.JPG IMG_3596.JPG IMG_3597.JPG IMG_3598.JPG IMG_3599.JPG

Belated, but for what it's worth for anyone else attempting roll pin removal in the future.....an air chisel was my magic tool when all else failed. I butane torched/aerokroiled/hammered(with draft bits) every night for weeks without even budging the damn thing. I finally welded a 1/4" draft bit with an appropriately sized washer to use with an air chisel and it came out in less than 10 seconds. I suppose a lawyer would argue i loosened it up with all the stuff the previous weeks.

Belated, but for what it's worth for anyone else attempting roll pin removal in the future.....an air chisel was my magic tool when all else failed. I butane torched/aerokroiled/hammered(with draft bits) every night for weeks without even budging the damn thing. I finally welded a 1/4" draft bit with an appropriately sized washer to use with an air chisel and it came out in less than 10 seconds. I suppose a lawyer would argue i loosened it up with all the stuff the previous weeks.
I feel sorry for you. I have remove many and never had to use anything more then a correct size punch, even a screw driver and a good hammer. I even used a screw once. Easy. Sorry you had so much trouble.

just to update this, as i don't think anyone said & i just did this.

Those roll pins only come out 1 way, the hole is tapered. so if it wont budge, flip it over. You can kinda tell because the one end is recessed.

hope this helps and took me a beer's worth of inspection to see it. Once i realized it was tapered and gave it a good whack with correct sized punch, it came right out and then used pickle fork to split it from the spline.

I use an old pushrod. Seems to be stronger than those china punches.

Those roll pins only come out 1 way, the hole is tapered. so if it wont budge, flip it over. You can kinda tell because the one end is recessed.

hope this helps and took me a beer's worth of inspection to see it. Once i realized it was tapered and gave it a good whack with correct sized punch, it came right out and then used pickle fork to split it from the spline.

Yes, that's my experience as well. Had to hit it from the underside on mine.

Auto Transport Service
Back