• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

71 v 72 Rallye hoods - is there a difference

70chall440

Local time
8:52 AM
Reaction score
Image-1 (8).jpg
So I bought this 71 Charger and it comes with a bulge (rallye) hood which I am told is a 72 hood. I intend to put an air grabber on this car and I was told that the 72 is much harder to convert. I know AMD sells a hood and my hood is pretty nice so maybe I just need to sell mine and get a AMD.

Appears to be a 73 but hard to see the louvers. small gap in the center is a 72 wide gap is a 73 and no louvers is a 74. 71's had an insert or ramcharger. No smooth bulges till 72. AMD hoods are nice, have one on my car.

I don't have the car (or hood) at the moment, but will mid month. Once I get it I will take more pictures. I don't mind cutting a hood but if it is better to sell and replace I will do that.

I would sell it and get an AMD. The money will likely be a wash.

I am going to do a Superbee clone on this car (was a 318 2bbl AT AC car). Seems that the Superbee dash script is the hardest to find.

The hood is definitelly 72 and later since all 71s were with some cut out on top of the bulge ( Superbee-R/T insert or air grabber ) but I don't know where are you looking at the rear vent grilles on the pic!!!

Also be aware that AMD is apparently making a plain bulge hood repro (no RT/Bee/AG insert) with 71 style vent louvers.

I will get more pictures of the hood when it arrives. I am definitely going to a AG hood on this car so I guess I need to sell this one.

Power Bulge Hoods and years 71 (both)
View attachment 986911

These even actually are 71 due the insert provision on them they are really second 71 half production, because first 71 production was without the gap.

just like this:

chargerhood71g.jpg

Then 72s continued the same late 71 setup on grilles with the gap.

The grills on hood applies for flat hoods too.

second half 71 and 72 air grabbers are of course the same

Last edited:
I will get more pictures of the hood when it arrives. I am definitely going to a AG hood on this car so I guess I need to sell this one.

in good conditions, basic 72/74 bulged hoods use to be sold very well and easy. Specially if somebody is searching for the correct year for his car and you got that one.

The hood pin holes could be an issue... or not! depending on buyer

We will see how it all plays out. My initial thought was to convert the hood I have but someone told me that the 72+ hood was not an easy conversion but more to the point why destroy the hood when they are being repopped? We will see, I am pretty handy with sheet metal and have a full shop, I will look at the hood when I get it and see what I want to do. If I could sell it for a decent price I would rather do that, but since they are repopped the value is going to be depressed I think.

I think the hardest part is make the step around the opening to get the grabber door flushed with hood skin, but frame must be the same.

Last edited:
I thought 70 was rectangular and 71/72 was pointed on the front.

Auto Transport Service
Back