• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

72 Charger Chassis Stiffening

72chargerSE

Local time
4:00 AM
Reaction score
Thought this would be the best place to put this thread.... Anyway, here we go.

I'm in the starting foundation of building my 440/505 Stroker, projected horse power is a little over 600, and projected torque closer to 650. This is a street car, but with this much power, the ole factory body I'm sure will twist up like a pretzel. Other than sub frame connectors, boxing the lower control arms, welding the torque boxes, what else do I need to look into doing? I'm planning on replacing the factory spring with new HP replacement springs, and for the 8 3/4 rear I plan on running a screw type adjustable pinion snubber. I've been thinking of running a spring relocation kit so I can put just a slightly wider tire on the back to be able to better plant the power when ever needed (yes there will probably be some track time, but mostly street). I'm trying to avoid a roll cage because I'm trying to keep the overall appearance of the car stock looking, just want sound stock, lol. Now my car is originally a 400-4bbl auto car that has factory power windows, PB, A/C, PS, and triple black. The car has factory hood pins, and has a bulge hood. Anyway, right now I'm wondering what all I need to look into doing to strengthen the car up to help prevent it turning into a pretzel under this much power.....

Oh, and: :HappyNewYear:

Ummm..... Any advice, comments, ect???:confused:

A trick that road racers use for stiffening up a car without a cage is to run complete beads of weld where panels are just spot welded together. This means cleaning all the seam sealer out and spending a LOT of time, but it is supposed to be worth the effort. Also, I'm not sure how much (if any) it would help, but you might also add the door wedges like all the convertibles had.

"Other than sub frame connectors, boxing the lower control arms, welding the torque boxes"

Thats about all I've every seen on any board or magazine so you must be OK with that.

I've also been told to run rear sliders for the rear leaf spring shackles, and run a split mono leaf from Calverts Racing..... Along with the Cal Tracks.

Auto Transport Service
Back