• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

72 Charger, converting fixed side glass to roll up?

JR_Charger

Local time
7:10 AM
Reaction score
Looking at the FSM, it appears the side glass is the same between the fixed window and the moveable window. The regulators are available. Haven't looked for the tracks yet. I'm thinking of upgrading my fixed windows while I've got it all apart - maybe I should think about switching to electric windows while I'm at it. Rolling one up and down is o.k., but 4 is a bit much. But before I get too far ahead of myself, can anyone confirm that the glass is the same?

I believe the rear glass for roll up windows are different in 71 and 72. I'm not sure when the change took place, but the set up I have from a 71 has the glass mounted to a metal bracket that rides the slides. The glass itself is similar to the fixed glass but I'm not sure if they are the same. The later version has a much taller window that is basically the shape of the window and bracket from 71, but all glass.
IMG_20220504_114402.jpg

There are holes in the glass to bolt those sliders on where they are on the bracket in the picture. If you want the set I have send me a p.m. It's from a 71 GTX

It does look significantly different -

05-fixed-side-glass.jpg

I'm not sure the Plymouth glass will fit. It doesn't go as far back at the top. It might work on a 71-72 SE Charger, but mine has the standard side window -

0dfc3f6a40d21a4583834f6fcf24a8a8.jpg

(not my car, just a pic I found on the internet).

72 SE has "regular" glass.

The quarter panel just has a plug in the window hole.

The 73/74 SE cars have totally different glass inside a plastic plug than the non SE cars.

I think the glass and mechanisms are the same from Dodge and Plymouth. The only thing I'm not sure of is if the mechanisms are different with the different glass. This is what the other style looks like.
1972-72-Dodge-Charger-Rallye-SE-1-4-quarter.jpg

I have the complete set up if you want, windows, regulators and tracks.

72 SE has "regular" glass.

The quarter panel just has a plug in the window hole.

The 73/74 SE cars have totally different glass inside a plastic plug than the non SE cars.

O.K., does the 72 SE and 71 Charger use the same glass and mechanisms as the Road Runner?

I think the glass and mechanisms are the same from Dodge and Plymouth. The only thing I'm not sure of is if the mechanisms are different with the different glass. This is what the other style looks like. View attachment 1280128
I have the complete set up if you want, windows, regulators and tracks.

I'm asking around to confirm if the parts are the same or not. I wouldn't want to assume anything with Chrysler.

08-manual-side-glass-moveable.jpg

Here's what the 72 Charger FSM shows. The illustration is a little different but I think that's just the way it's drawn. Can any Charger owners with moveable windows confirm that this is the right glass?

I looked through the parts manual and they do list different quarter windows for Dodge and Plymouth:wtf:. Always thought they would interchange.
IMG_20220507_175618.jpg

This is what I have by the way. I think the only things missing are the stops.
IMG_20220507_172002~2.jpg
IMG_20220507_164535.jpg

I have a bracket for the slide on the regulator arm that I marked, but I don't see it in the illustration?

Well poop. That raises the possibility that the other parts are slightly different as well.

I guess I'll live with the fixed windows. I was going for a lightweight build anyway. Thanks for your time.

Auto Transport Service
Back