• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

72 Charger Tail Lights! Help!

Pale340

Local time
9:01 AM
Reaction score
Hey everyone,
I am working on a 72 Charger Survivor that is in absolute wonderful shape. It has a newly rebuilt #s matching 318 and runs great. This issue I inquiring about is the Tail Light Housings. The driver's side lights are not working at all and I know why. I pulled the lens off and it was full of water. So, that being said, the sockets are all rusted and just cannot be cleaned up. Is there anyone that sells new light sockets. I cannot find a new wire harness that includes the light sockets. I could restore the housing itself and its not cracked or broken. Its the light sockets that are the issues. Any ideas or opinions? Thanks for your help.

If they're constructed the same as 1971, there's no non-destructive way to remove the sockets. You'll have to pry the swaged-over lip of the sockets from the bezels to fit and splice in new parts store sockets. Cracking the bezel is a real possibility.

Thanks! I will check them out.
He may not have a pic of them on his site, but he has all that stuff. He makes/ sells wiring harnesses & other parts, mostly electrical. He-s very Mopar knowledgeable, and helpful.

My 73 runner was the same way. I went to local store. Bought two trailer lights. Like 8.99 each or something. Pulled the guts out of them. Everything was mounted to a steel tab. Drill a 1/4 inch hole inside my tail light assy. Bolted the new piece in. Drill another 1/4 inch hole for wires. Ran all the wires in the back. Ground included. Wire up. All done. Brand new sockets in my old lamps. Under 20 bucks.

54D94EDA-8AA5-4940-B4ED-0F9CDA009129.jpeg
This is how I fixed the lights in my Roadrunner

My lights were single bulb but I added an extra. They could be mounted any direction that they fit. Just be sure to run a ground from the metal tab to the body ground inside the trunk.

I just redid my 1972's rear lights. I took a dremel and gently cut the old light sockets out, 2 opposite side cuts. Then bent the lips in and knocked them out. I bought cheap auto parts store replacement sockets and used a small hammer to seat them in the taillight housing. Make sure you seat them well enough because they ground themselves on the housing. Look up a schematic and wire accordingly. It was an easy job.
When your wiring just remember the 1157 bulbs have a low light and bright light. I used the bright light for braking, and the other for headlights on. Not sure if that's the correct way but its how I did it.
Good luck.

Auto Transport Service
Back