• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

72 Charger Vapor Recovery Tank

JR_Charger

Local time
9:31 PM
Reaction score
Got this thing partially disassembled. I've seen a user on another forum split the tank apart and refinish it. How does the tank itself come apart? I don't see any fasteners. I've got the FSM but if the recovery tank is in there, I haven't found it.

evap_recovery_tank-04.JPG

Maybe it pries apart along this seam?

evap_recovery_tank-09.JPG

evap_recovery_tank-10.JPG

If it’s not rotted out or rusty why do you want to split it ? That is the tank

That is the 1971 B Body Vapor Seperator Tank - No charcoal
I don’t know if that tank was ever used on a production 1972 B Body , maybe very early production ?

1972 was the first year for the charcoal system , and the tank is completely different

They are made not to come apart. They are roll welded at the factory. I believe I have a nice one from the western states if you may need one. It was removed off a 72 Charger.
To clean the inside, get you a hose and put it on the biggest nipple and put some regular size BB's in the tank, and add some strong vinegar to the tank, and let it set on one side at time for at least 2 or 3 days, then put it on another side. I would shake it vigously to loosen up anything inside. Then you can empty it out into a container, making sure to get the bb's out. I cant think of any better way. Oh, and neutralize the container with water, then use compessed air to dry it out.

Early 72’s used them. It’s sealed, if solid run it.

My car is definitely a 72 with the penny pincher side marker lamps, not the nice model-specific 71 units.

I took this tank off of it myself.

I can hear some loose crud rattling around inside it, not too big a fan of that.

It seems I've made a mistake and mis-remembered that the tank could be taken apart. I found the thread I was thinking about, and it is only the two shields that come off.

What did later 72's come with? The 73/4 gas tank with the vapor recovery tank on top?

Isn't anyone concerned with rust inside the recovery tank?

I had something like that in the trunk of a ‘71 Scamp beater I got for $225 back in the mid 80’s. Unless you are doing the subtract from 100 points thing, I’d just get rid of it.

How would you "Just get rid of it?" Run the recovery line directly into the gas tank? I'm guessing it's under little to no pressure, but it wasn't engineered to be that way. I don't know what kind of problems it could cause.

How would you "Just get rid of it?" Run the recovery line directly into the gas tank? I'm guessing it's under little to no pressure, but it wasn't engineered to be that way. I don't know what kind of problems it could cause.
On my 70’s I used the Carter electric fuel pump with the mechanical pump that the DC manual recommended. The vapor separator has a 5/16” return line. The extra pressure sent the fuel back to the tank. I’m not sure what the ‘72 has that runs up front though.The ‘Cuda has a vented fuel cap in ‘70. At least 49 state. Not sure how they vented the ‘70 Charger. I think the hinged cap leaked air from the get go. The vapor lines are probably on the top of the tank. You could plug them and use a vented cap.

You used two fuel pumps?

The factory 318 had a mechanical fuel pump. Vapor from the carb goes through a charcoal cannister, then back to the recovery tank. The lines to the recovery tank are on the side of the gas tank. I think there's a vent in the fuel filler neck, but I don't know about the gas cap I have on it. It's a locking cap, not factory.

You used two fuel pumps?

The factory 318 had a mechanical fuel pump. Vapor from the carb goes through a charcoal cannister, then back to the recovery tank. The lines to the recovery tank are on the side of the gas tank. I think there's a vent in the fuel filler neck, but I don't know about the gas cap I have on it. It's a locking cap, not factory.
The factory used a sealed cap on all the evap cars. You could just drill a small hole in a sealed cap. Yes on the two pumps. It was recommended for the track, but on the “Six Pack” setup it helped prevent fuel starvation on WOT for street use.

I’m guessing that recovery tank is to keep the main tank from collapsing under suction.

Auto Transport Service
Back