• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

72 Dodge Charger Rallye Restoration

Loren White

Local time
11:16 AM
Reaction score
Hello fellow Mopar men. I. own a 1972 Dodge Charger Rallye 340 that I have had for 41 years. I am currently in the process of a complete restoration. I would like to reach out and get some installation tips on the N96 option I am adding to my car. Any input would be greatly appreciated. I have been following this forum for a while and just recently joined. Thanks in advance for having me.

WELCOME @Loren White from southern NJ!! 41 years, NICE!! Advantage you have is ya know the car: Biggest thing I can pass along is repair RUST!! ALL RUST!! And cowl "overlap" areas which is a floor pans worst friend. Inside C-pillars behind sail panels get surface rust which bleeds to roof. Being a Texas car, hopefully you dont have these as my northeast car did: GOOD LUCK AND KEEP US POSTED!!
:xscuseless:

20210114_151631.jpg

Thanks for your reply. All metal issues have been addressed. I did not hesitate to allow AMD to replace all suspect components. What knowledge of the air grabber setup are you aware of?

None: You have the REAL 72: Mine is a 318 car, not stock, modern color: 360LA, 30 over with some "upgrades": built by drag shop next town over.

Welcome here from a 72 charger owner of 30 years. I don't have any N96 experience and will be watching. Any pics??

As for N96....electric switch I believe & I think there will be a "template" behind the dash showing exactly where the switch goes (that way on a 70 roadrunner anyway). I "think" I've seen an "add on" kit you can buy to install it on a standard hood. Air cleaner should be the same as 70+ (round lid)

Welcome from Michigan:drinks:. Gonna need some pics.

Welcome! I am not able to help with your question but I live down the street from Summit, I hope to see your car out there sometime! You might get more help in the 71-74 section if you ask your question there.

Welcome from south Florida! I added an air grabber to my 72 Satellite so I can answer some questions. There are differences between the Dodge and Plymouth setup that I may not be able to help with. Best bet is to get a factory service and body manual that you can download here: Service Manuals – MyMopar

For 72 the Air Grabber was different between the charger and the road runner, the road runner was a bolt on deal whereas on the charger it was a complete hood. The air grabber parts themselves are similar (not sure if they are the same) but you will need a complete kit (which are available online). Then its a matter of bolting everything up, running the vacuum lines.

As mentioned, get a manual, it will be very helpful

My concern is under the hood. On the forward side of the duct is where the lower door flapper attaches. Is the flapper supposed to open into the duct when the upper door is closed (in the closed position from the top) or does it sit flush against the duct. I have mine setup off the car and the upper door will not close completely. I may need to install the hood and connect the vacuum lines, but I have not finished assembling the car. Any suggestions?

Welcome from south Florida! I added an air grabber to my 72 Satellite so I can answer some questions. There are differences between the Dodge and Plymouth setup that I may not be able to help with. Best bet is to get a factory service and body manual that you can download here: Service Manuals – MyMopar
Does the lower door flapper that is attached to the duct supposed to sit flush against the duct, or retract into the duct when the upper door is closed. I have mine setup off the vehicle and the upper door will not close properly. You can see the air grabber decal.

Welcome! Here is a pic of my old Super Bee of the duct with the door closed.

IMG_1088.JPG

Auto Transport Service
Back