• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

72 into 62 K frame swap?

kcmcuda

Local time
5:50 PM
Reaction score
First time post...
I have a 62 Dodge 440 convert that I am looking to install a K frame in that is from a 72 B body. The 72 K has the sway bar that runs through it. Will this swap work and what if any mods need to be done to do this? Thanks for your help!

Welcome. If you do a quick thread search, I think you will find the answer to your question here.

The information I found starts in 1964. The B body 1964 uses K member part number 2601017 and the same for 1965. That K member works on all V8's except the hemi. The 1972 B body uses K member part number 3583078. It does not look like they will swap out. Good luck with your project. I will post if I come up with any other information.

Any k-member other than 62-65 will set the engine closer to the firewall You will have to do some cutting and fabing to make it work.It will also move trans farer back. Why are you changing k-members ?

Last edited:
The 62 K has no sway bar, and I like the sway bay design on the 72. I know I could try to find a sway bar that would be correct for the 62 and will do that if the swap entails cutting the firewall do to engine placement.

I don't think you need to cut the firewall. Using a later K moves the motor and trans back about 1.75". That being said, you might need to take a hammer to it.

The hammer should make it look good. Looks like a lot of work for nothing if you have to take a hammer to anything other that your head for doing such a stupid thing as that.

I don't really think a hammer is needed, but usually people use the 68-70 style K instead of the one you're talking about.

hi,i have a 65 plymouth bel,,i installed a 71 cuda k-member in it.cheaper oil pan and headers.get to use disk brakes also.it is a tight fit but looks good.i can send a few pics if you want,mark

That would be very helpful, thanks! Did you have clearance issues?? What headers did you use? Ken

Oh, and thanks for your help,.(post #7) Its people like you that make people like me not want to join forums like this.... I was just looking for some helpful info, the kind that Mark is willing to provide, not your smart *** criticism.

Hey, your welcome. Mark never minds helping...Dvorak helped him do this very and then thought it was impossible...it does actually work. We also searched high and low for a motor plate but it's not needed with the swap. Will send you some pics. You need to get a little creative with the trans mount cross member however it's not bad at all. The headers are hooker super comp 2 piece with the back tubes wrapping the torsion bar. These are 2 1/8 primary tubes, but you should have no problems with street headers or factory exhaust. Let me know what you think, I used 62-65 upper and lower control arms. They take the same ball joints as all E and B bodies to 1972. Any further assistance will be slow in coming after next Wednesday. Gator Nationals! Mark

Auto Transport Service
Back